𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐎 | 𝐂𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄

BOTH ME AND KHIAN were starting to get tired

BOTH ME AND KHIAN were starting to get tired. Khian was always very good at keeping guard. Despite so, I smirked whenever I blocked his strikes, trying to get him annoyed. "Is that all you got, Smith?"

"We don't have to keep sparring, love," he cajoled with an innocent voice. "Just give in."

Any other girl's knees might have started buckling then, but I just smiled back. "Nah."

Khian made the maneuver to try and disarm my sword but I countered it by doing the same thing, just twisting the opposite way he was. I tried for a feint but he already saw it coming and parried it. I was really getting tired of our little dance. I bided my time, waiting for my chance.

Then I pretended to throw all of my force into one slash with my blade. Khian sidestepped me and pretending I couldn't stop my momentum, I fell forward and toward the ground. My instincts told me to tuck and roll to minimize the impact, but I thrusted out my left hand (which was without the sword), and landed on it.

"Shit," I said, grimacing in pain. My sword clattered out of my hand but I made no move for it. Still laying on the turf, I gently cradled my left wrist which actually kind of did hurt. Khian immediately knelt beside me, dropping his weapon to the side. Close enough for me to reach.

"Angelique?" he asked worriedly. "Are you alright?"

I hissed through my teeth, building the anticipation for him. "I think- I think I..."

"What's wrong?" Khian asked, his voice holding a hint of desperation.

The moment he extended a hand out to help me, my right hand made a grab for his sword. Then I struck him with the flat of the blade, none too gently.

Khian fell back, his arse hitting the floor. His eyes narrowed at me in anger.

"Got you," I said, getting up.

I gave him a hand which he eyed with suspicion before sighing and letting me get him back up to his feet. Khian brushed himself off while I stared at him, trying to read his emotions. He was upset for sure.

"I'm sorry," I sighed, my tone genuine. His gaze finally met mine and his icy eyes melted.

"I would say that was unfair, but, I guess I would have done the same thing."

I leaned over and lightly kissed his cheek. "Forgive me?"

His lips parted in surprise and his eyes widened. Then Khian growled. "You have too much power over me. Of course I forgive you."

I almost flinched. I was leading him on again. I felt like an Aphrodite girl, manipulating his feelings and using them against him.

I immediately backed away, feeling awkward. "Well then, I guess I'll see you at the campfire."

Khian's irises flashed once, with hurt.

Why was life so unfair? I either always gave him too much, or too little. Why couldn't we just be friends? Maybe because some part of you is in denial, said an unfriendly voice in my mind.