𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐎 | 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐅𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐈𝐍 𝐌𝐄

ANNABETH TOOK A DEEP BREATH

ANNABETH TOOK A DEEP BREATH. "It's Jason's quest," she announced, "so it's Jason's choice. Obviously, he's the child of lightning. According to tradition, he may choose any two companions." Then she glanced at me. "And Angelique is already in. She's the only child of Poseidon that is here right now. Child of sea is her."

My mind froze and my eyes were carefully blank, not letting anyone read me. My eyes roved around the campfire, still looking for Khian. I was afraid that once I met his icy eyes, they would be painted in—not anger—but cold, bitter disappointment. I was leaving him. Again.

But I couldn't find my best friend.

Jason gently nudged me with his shoulder and I turned his way. He subtly tilted his head to his right. I glanced where he was gesturing and saw a glimpse of Khian. I wondered for a quick moment how Jason knew I was looking for Khian when he didn't even know what the son of Khione looked like. Then I realized he just must have made a huge lucky guess.

Khian was leaning against Artemis Cabin with a hard look in his gaze. When he caught me looking, his expression grew placid but not before a flicker of hurt passed through. He melted into the shadows before I could call his name.

I was still staring at the spot he was at just a second earlier. Damn it, how is it my fault that I have to do another quest?

"It's connected," Piper suddenly blurted out, and my attention snapped back to what was happening. "You know that's true, don't you? This whole business, your boyfriend's disappearance—it's all connected."

"How?" demanded Drew. "If you're so smart, how?"

I could see Piper struggling to answer.

I decided easily enough, to save her. "You may be right, Piper. If this is connected, Annabeth will find out from the other end—by searching for Percy, because, unfortunately, Annabeth can't come as the prophecy doesn't allow it."

"It says who I pick," Jason agreed. "Angelique is already in for sure, . Now leaves the matter of 'the forge and dove shall break the cage'. The forge is the symbol of Vul—Hephaestus."

Under the Cabin Nine banner, Nyssa's shoulders slumped, like she'd just been given a heavy anvil to carry. "If you have to beware the earth," she said, "you should avoid traveling overland. You'll need air transport."

I remembered then that Jason could fly and I snorted when I thought about Jason carrying us all on his back like a blond flying horse. Jason shot a glance at me, confused of why I was so amused. I waved him off with another irrepressible smile.

"The flying chariot's broken," Nyssa continued, "and the pegasi, we're using them to search for Percy. But maybe Hephaestus cabin can help figure out something else to help. With Jake incapacitated, I'm senior camper. I can volunteer for the quest."

She didn't sound enthusiastic.

Then Leo stood up. He'd been so quiet, I had almost forgotten he was there, which was totally not like Leo.