𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐒 // 𝐊𝐇𝐈𝐀𝐍━━𝐈 𝐇𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐀𝐓 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓³

A/N — Part III (final) of Khian's backstory. Enjoy!

Khian and Angelique are now twelve and a half.

MY FRIENDSHIP WITH ANGELIQUE was suddenly something I very much treasured

MY FRIENDSHIP WITH ANGELIQUE was suddenly something I very much treasured. So much that I suppressed my growing feelings. I hated the idea of losing her because of my damn heart. Somewhere in me I knew she would never leave me, even if she didn't return my feelings but my fear did not listen.

I had gotten accustomed to watching the vainer boys go after her. They didn't care that she was a quiet person whom the rest of the camp seemed to avoid. They only cared that she deemed to be a beauty to them. Angelique always handled it well, but there were times I could barely restrain myself from strangling the boy.

She always laughed afterword as if she knew my thoughts and then she would put a hand on mine. The anger quickly faded to a silent kind of pleased feeling.

The Minotaur had eventually returned. As Angelique predicted and as the rest of the camp anticipated, it had came after another demigod. This time, the demigod turned out to be a boy named Percy Jackson. Angelique's half-brother, Annabeth's present-day boyfriend.

He was the reason she had to leave that one day. For the start of her many quests to come.

I told myself that I had to profess. I feared Angelique never knowing more than I feared she wouldn't feel the same. I would respect her decision no matter what and stay her friend.

We met at the dock of the lake at dawn as promised. Our favorite spot.

She was always there first. It kind of became a tradition.

When Angelique noticed my footsteps, she swiveled her head around, giving me that grin she would so rarely do. The one that made my heart skip.

As I sat beside her on the dock facing the lake, she immediately felt my unease, my unhappiness at myself and the predicament of her leaving.

Angelique didn't say anything, she had just wrapped her arms around me in a tight embrace.

I held her back, fighting back the traitorous tears.

"I can't promise I'll be back soon," she whispered after some time. "But I can promise I'll contact you every moment I get. Believe me, Khian, this is just as hard for me as it is for you."

I pursed my lips then straightened my facial features before letting her go. Angelique didn't know that wasn't the only reason I was feeling the way I was.

Just tell her, my mind had urged me.

Instead I said bittersweetly, "Have fun. I like Percy, Annabeth and Grover anyways."

"Thank you, Khian," she said, knowing I meant my best.

Then Angelique elbowed me playfully. "Y'know, it kinda sounds like hell even minus the monsters we'll encounter. Percy's going to be annoying, Annabeth's gonna be a smart ass and I'll have to endure Grover's can-munching and horrible reed pipe playing."

I found myself laughing and Angelique's gaze lightened up at it. I could imagine it, they were a weird group. But Percy had chosen them to help him find the master bolt and there was no going back now. I wish he chose me too.

My laughter faded at the thought. Then I reminded myself, I had to tell her and confess.

"Khian," the daughter of Poseidon prodded, "I feel like you want to tell me something."

"Angelique," I said hesitatingly, heart pounding. "There's something I've been meaning to tell you...."

"Yes?" she said leaning closer as I was talking in a low voice.

Angelique eyes were distracting and alluring. So clear and dark, so deep I could drown and never choose to resurface.  Her perfect lips were only centimeters away. My heartbeat started up again, so irregular and loud I was sure she could hear it too.

"AL!" shouted someone. Percy I believe. "WE HAVE TO GET GOING!"

"Coming!" Angelique yelled back.

Then the sound of his footsteps indicated he was running back to the main part of camp.

Angelique got up. Too soon. Too soon. Too soon.

She smiled sadly, the left corner of her lips pulling up. "Goodbye, Khian."

I watched her go like an idiot before finally getting myself to move.

Scrambling up onto my legs I reached out, my hand grabbing her wrist. "Wait!"

Angelique turned around, just as surprised as I was by how much emotion I was letting into my voice.

"Khian—?"

Since no words came to me, I pressed my lips unto hers instead, praying I wasn't making a mistake. Angelique didn't make a move away but she didn't come forward either. Then after what felt like forever, her fingers brushed my jawline and she lightly pressed her mouth back. It took all my restraint not to turn this innocent kiss into something more.

We parted, but our foreheads rested on each others.

"Khian," she murmured, her breath cool against my lips. "Don't wait for me."

No matter how many girls I would date, I never heeded her parting words.

END OF "I HATED YOU AT FIRST"