𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐀 | 𝐒𝐊𝐘 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐄𝐀

WE DIDN'T MAKE IT to the ship

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of us. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

Piper raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

Octavian was dumb. Firstly, ropes would do nothing to keep a child of Poseidon bonded and secondly he was surrounded by a direct source of water I could easily use, namely the sea. But as I felt my blades in my hands, I suddenly wanted to use them, not my ability with water. I knew I had no one to prove to that I was better than just my powers anymore, but it still felt a bit wrong.

"Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

"Angelique," Annabeth said. "Just go for it."

I sighed. "Can't we fight without my powers?"

Piper, Hazel and Annabeth glared at me.

I heaved another small breath before I faced Octavian and his Romans again. My hand twitched once.

All around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted like a Las Vegas fountain putting on a show. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor. Too easy. But fun.

Everyone laughed.

"Guys," Hazel interrupted. She had a little smile on her face. "We need to hurry."

Down in the water, Octavian yelled, "Get me out of here! I'll kill you!"

"Tempting," I said, even though I knew he couldn't hear me.

"What?" Octavian shouted. He was holding on to one of his guards, who was having trouble keeping them both afloat.

Hazel frowned. "We can't let them drown, can we?"

"They won't," I said. "I've got the water circulating around their feet. As soon as we're out of range, I'll spit them ashore."

Piper grinned. "Nice."

We climbed aboard the Argo II, and Annabeth ran to the helm. "Piper, get below. Use the sink in the galley for an Iris-message. Warn Jason to get back here!"

Piper nodded and raced off.

"Hazel, go find Coach Hedge and tell him to get his furry hindquarters on deck!"