𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐀 | 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐏𝐈𝐂𝐍𝐈𝐂

THE TRIBUTE TO BACCHUS was almost done

THE TRIBUTE TO BACCHUS was almost done. I thought it would take hours, but the ship sank fast, filling with Diet Coke and seawater.

"Dionysus," Angelique called, holding up Chrysaor's golden mask. "Or Bacchus—whatever. You made this victory possible. So... thank you. We give this ship to you as tribute."

"Six million in gold," Leo muttered. "He better like this tribute."

Angelique threw the golden mask aboard the vessel, which was now sinking even faster, Diet Coke spewing from any cracks and crevices. The water around it turned a frothy brown.

She then summoned a wave, and the enemy ship was swamped. Leo steered the Argo II away as the pirate vessel disappeared underwater.

"Isn't that polluting?" Piper asked.

"I wouldn't worry. If Bacchus likes it, the ship should vanish," I told her.

Heading east into the fog, we decided to fly the rest of the way to Rome.

As everyone moved around to clean up the mess that the dolphin warriors made, I went to Angelique who was leaning over the railing. Her expression was placid, as usual, but this time it was with a hint of tiredness. Her dark eyes were currently sharp and narrow due to her heavy eyelids, most likely from her lack of sleep.

"Hey," I said, joining her by the railing.

"Hey," she murmured back in greeting.

"Listen, I think I'm well enough take sentry duty, along with Coach Hedge. You should get some rest."

Angelique traced patterns on the wooden rail, ignoring what I said entirely and just asking, "Did you drool on my pillows?"

I blinked in surprise at the sudden change of subject and because of the sudden recollection of the fact that I did sleep in her bed. On accident and not with her in it, but it was still mortifyingly embarrassing all the same. I groaned. "Sorry. I swear I didn't mean to, I was just so tired. And no, I don't drool."

She turned to look at me, her head tilted and her irises glittering with amusement. "Okay."

"Okay?"

She returned to gazing at the sky, but not before I saw a small smile painted on her lips. "What else would you like me to say?"

My shoulders relaxed and I felt a little less flustered. Thankfully, she wasn't annoyed at me for doing that. "One more thing," I said. "What you did today, well, it was something that only people with the best of wits and cleverness can do. And the tribute was a nice touch."

"Thanks. And about the tribute... it wasn't out of pure humility." She closed her eyes. "I needed Dionysus to hear us and appreciate the tribute enough to help us in our battle against the twin giants. I have no faith that he will, or that he will care. But I had to try."