22. Free

That moment I really wish he would have kissed me. I needed to feel safe and protected in his embrace one more time, but it's not meant to be.

"Are you done teasing me Cass?" I scoff as I cross my arms over my chest and pout. "More like you teasing me, Nathan Wyatt."

"Come on, let's get you sprung from this joint." I roll my eyes at him as he helps me up off the bed. "Jerk" I say above a whisper but of course he has to hear me. I swear he has the superpowers that he always claims I have. "What did you say?" He has that stupid smirk on his face again. Oh God no! I can't take anymore tickling.

"I can't wait for them to release me." He knows I'm lying but he doesn't say anything about it. "So, what's up with Dr. McWetmypants?" I just look at him for a moment even though there was an undertone to his voice. I can't help but start laughing all over again.

"Oh, you mean Derek."

He groans and I can't help but giggle, it is fun to get him wound up. It's like the whole kiss thing never happened, even though I will never forget the feeling of it.

Stop it Cass! Now is not the time for that.

"Yes, and please don't say his name like that."

I quirk an eyebrow at him. "Like what?"

"Like you were excited or something." He grinds his teeth, and I can't help but roll my eyes again.

"Seriously Nate! I just said his name that's it. Besides he saved my life."

He looks at me in disbelief and I pat the bed and we both sit down. I tell him everything that happened, and he listened without interrupting. By the time I am finished I have tears streaming down my face and Nate pulls me into a hug.

"I guess I am indebted to him... that's just fucking great." What am I going to do with this man? He just makes me laugh and giggle at my lowest points. We both smile at each other when Derek walks in with some paperwork.

"I thought I'd swing by and give these to you myself."

Nate gets up and walks over to Derek, none of the hostility from before. He takes the papers and puts them on the bed before extending his hand. "Thank you for saving Cassie's life." Derek takes his hand and shakes it. "I am happy I could help. Cass is a special woman." I can't help the blush that stains my cheeks. "That she is." I lock eyes with Nate for a brief second. I just want to kiss him all over again.

I say my goodbyes to Derek again and Nate convinced the nurse to let him wheel me out of the hospital. The moment I step on the concrete ground I gasp at what I am seeing.

"Cass, what's wrong?"

My lips tremble, so many emotions going through my system right now. To any other person right now it was just like an average town. The overcast clouds, the busy people walking around. It's a lot to take in after being in darkness for so long.

"I n-never thought I g-get to see a-again." I feel Nate's hands cup my face. "Now you get to see the world again doll." His smile is so bright that I can't help but mirror it. I hug him tight as he picks me up and spins me around. I throw my head back and laugh as everything around me begins to move in fast motion. "Put me down silly."

When he does put me down, we just stare at each other. There is no denying there is some type of chemistry between us. But to sabotage what we have I can't see past that. I turn away from him and tuck my hair behind my ear. He grabs my hand, and we start walking to the car. But I let go of his hand as I just take a moment to look at everything. Everything looks so vibrant and alive, although it feels like it is too bright at the moment. We are almost to his car when he looks at me.

"So, what do you want Cass?"

You, but I shake that thought from my head as I smirk at him. I am definitely going to get him back for what he did earlier. I take a step towards him.

"I want the biggest..." I take another step and he steps back. I can't help but smile. The tables have turned sucker.

"The fattest..." I see him take a gulp and his Adam apple bobs up and down.

"The juiciest..." I can't help myself as I look down at his crotch. I honestly don't know what's got into me. I take another step forward and his back hits his car. I hear his breathing quicken and I control all my urges to smash my lips to his. I lean into whisper in his ear, our bodies are so close I can feel the heat radiating off of us.

"Burger." I lick my lips and see him fumbling for his keys. "Oh, and a banana split." He forgets his keys and has to adjust his pants, where I am dying of laughter inside. I lick my lips again now to put the nail in his coffin. I moan and if his jaw could hit the floor, it would.

"Mouthwatering good. Don't you think?" I give him the most innocent look and I hear a growl escape his throat.

"You're going to kill me woman." I hear him whisper as I pick up his keys and open up his car, as I hand him the keys, I skip around to my side, but he is still standing there looking at me. I bite my lip, okay maybe I went too far, it looks like I broke him. He shakes himself out of his trance and mumbles thinking I don't hear him. "How can that woman make that sound so damn sexy." I try to not let what he says affect me, but it does. I shrug my shoulders and tap the hood of his car and get his attention.

"Come on big boy...I'm hungry." I hop into the car to get my breathing under control. The way he was looking at me was doing things I shouldn't be thinking, let alone wanting. That's it! I have completely lost my mind. I think I went too far because I can't stop the feeling of his stare caressing my body.

When he finally gets in the car, he looks at me and his eyes change to something I do not understand.

"I'm hungry but not for food."

Holy Shitballs!

I try to control myself because this man has me wanting to do things I have never imagined before. We both don't say anything else as he starts the car and I make the top go down as he takes off. Feeling the wind in my hair and being able to see all the beauty around me makes me want to cry. But when I turn to look at Nate, he is smiling at me before he turns his attention to the road again. I wave my hand outside the car as I laugh. Things are finally starting to look up for once in a long while.

I may not have my feelings under control for this man, but for the first time I can remember...I finally feel free.