34. Maybe

C A S S I E

Once Derek guided me to go get an MRI and whatever other tests, they have planned Dr. Novac is there waiting for us. "Your scans after your surgery were normal, but I just want to check after the information that Dr. Fox sent over to me." I look up at Derek with a questioning look, he chuckles as he waves his tablet in front of me. "The wonders of technology." I roll my eyes as they help to get situated for the scan. "This won't take that long. just try to relax." Easy for you to say when you are completely sane. I on the other hand that is still up for debate.

My nerves got the better of me and the tests took longer than expected. Once I was finished Dr. Novac said that he would be up to my room shortly to go over everything with me. A nurse named Heather who reminds me of my mother helped me back to my room. "If you need anything dear just let me know." She smiles kindly at me as she is ready to open the door to my room. Before I can muster out a thank you, I stop dead in my tracks once we walk in. Neither one of us say a word as the laughter has us both rendered speechless.

Lil is sitting in the chair laughing at something Dr. Fox said. They are both smiling brightly at one another. It doesn't go unnoticed to me when he brushes his hand up and down her arm. "Am I interrupting something here?" I ask with a smug smile on my face as they jump apart. I try not to be disappointed when I do not see Nate here, but I have to remind myself he is just my friend. "It's good to see Dr. Fox laughing, he is all work, all the time." Heather whispers to me and I giggle as I look between her and my best friend.

"I was just keeping Lily company while she waited for you. I finished up with my last patient while you were getting your tests done. I think I should go consult with Dr. Novac about the results." I hum in response as he looks between me and my best friend before I see his cheeks pink with color. He makes a quick exit as Lil guides me back to my bed as Heather fluffs my pillows.

"I'll be back to check on you later." Heather gives my hand a squeeze and I do the same.

"Thank you, Heather."

"Anytime, dear."

When Heather leaves I turn back to Lil with my eyebrow raised. "Okay!" She sighs dramatically while throwing her hands up in the air. "We have talked a lot since you have been in here. We may have gone on a coffee date. If you can even count going to get coffee a date. I'm not sure, but he was such a gentleman the whole time." I laugh as she keeps going on until she glares at me.

"You're rambling."

"Am not!"

"You so are."

She sighs again as she lays down next to me and grabs ahold of my hand. "I feel like I am in damn high school with my first crush." I put my forehead to hers and smile at her. This is the first time I have truly seen her like this, well besides the time when I thought Nate was mine and apparently was stuck in my own mind. God, this is all so confusing. "It will work out Lil, I just know it." Maybe, I just don't know anymore.

Lil moves to get out of bed and straightens out her outfit. "Are you going to be, okay? I have to get back to work, I kind of walked out on a meeting."

"I'm a grown woman. I can take care of myself. Besides Nate will be back soon...right?" I bite the inside of my cheek instead of my lip.

"He had some stuff to take care of, but he should be back soon."

"I'll see you later Lil. Get back to work before they fire you."

The mischief is back in her eyes, and I try not to laugh. "Honey please. They wouldn't be able to run the damn company without me." She blows me a kiss and walks to the door. "Later, babes." I call out bye to her and when I look around the room I shiver. This is the first time I feel completely alone. Even when they were not around before it didn't get to me, but this something feels off.

A knock on my door startles me and I almost jump out of my skin. Dr. Novac gives me an apologetic look as he walks further into the room.

"Sorry dear. The results of your scans are completely normal."

"There's got to be something wrong." I fidget with my fingers as he sits down on the edge of the bed and pats my leg. "Sometimes there is no explanation for the things that happen in life Cass. If you need to talk to someone about what you went through." I am grateful that he doesn't make it sound like I am crazy. "Let me know and I will give you some people I know that can help you out. Just know that you are not alone in this. Others have gone through something similar, but if you have any of the symptoms that we spoke about you call me right away."

"I will. When can I get out of here?"

"When I check in on you in the morning and if everything is well. I do not see why you cannot go home."

"Thank you."

He pats my leg again as he nods his head before standing up and walking out of the room. I lay back down and close my eyes. That's when I feel the tears fall down my cheeks. Nate left and he's not mine. A part of me wishes I never made that life up, but another part of me just wants to go back there and be with him again. Maybe when I wake up, I will forget all about that other life and things can go back to how they are supposed to me. Maybe none of this happened at all and I am still fifteen with my parents still alive. Maybe, just maybe...

Snap out of it, Cass!

Maybe I am going crazy.