27. What Are the Chances?

Of all the people to greet me when I get off the train it has to be my ex-boyfriend from high school.

"Hunter!" He steps closer to me like he wants to give me a hug but thinks better of it. "What are you doing here? Where's Uncle Jeff?"

"He had an important conference call he couldn't get out of. So,he asked me to pick you up."

Since when did Hunter work for my uncle? I'm about to respond when my phone rings. "Sorry I need to take this."

"No worries, take your time."

"Cass! I'm freaking out over here!"

"Lil, calm down what is going on?"

"I think I'm in love." I roll my eyes because this woman is finally in a relationship after so long of not being in one. "Okay, calm down. Everything is going to be alright." I mouth sorry to Hunter, but he just waves it off as he walks us over to where his car is. Still so strange to be near him again after so long. "CALM DOWN!" I pull the phone away from my ear. "Damn Lily, chill." I hear her take deep breaths. "Cass, I can't calm down. I said I'm in love with Dr. McWetmypants." I start laughing because she still will not get over that nickname, she conjured up for Derek.

"Is it a bad thing?"

She sighs and it's quiet for a moment. Hunter takes my bag and puts it in the trunk. "I don't know. Oh! Hold on that must be my takeout. Just a sec. I'll be right there." I can hear her rummage through I assume her purse looking for her wallet. "As I was saying, I can't be in love with him it's too soon and he's too damn perfect."

"Like I said before is that a bad thing?"

"Yes! Because I might say hey Derek, I love...oh shit! I got to go."

"Lil"

I hear the phone drop and listen for a moment before I start to panic. "Are you going to finish that sentence love?" I disconnect the call and smile to myself. I guess she is going to tell Derek sooner than she thought. I turn to see Hunter waiting with the passenger door open for me.

"Thank you."

"No problem. So, I take it you still talk to Lily Bauers." He chuckles as he shuts my door and rushes to the driver side and gets in. This is so freaking weird. I don't know how in the world I ended up with Hunter as my driver today. "You know she threatened to chop off my," he looks down then back at me with his cheeks flushed. "Well, you know, because of how I treated you." I try to ignore the pain of it from that time in my life, but it still hurts.

"I really don't want to talk about that right now." He nods his head in understanding, but I can see the look of regret in his eyes. "Damn it!" He looks at me wide eye and I feel my cheeks heat up. "Shit balls! Oh my God! What the fuck is wrong with me?" I cover my face with my hands in embarrassment. Hunter laughs with a full belly laugh clutching his stomach and I turn my head to glare at him.

"I take it you still do not like to cuss."

"Why would you be picking me up?" I change the subject because I do not want to get comfortable around him like I did when I first met him in high school.

"I'm his personal assistant." He says, like I should know this and takes off towards the office. The sooner we get there, and I see what he wants the sooner I can get back home. "You look good Cass. I am happy the procedure was a success."

"Thanks." I almost do a happy dance to get out of this awkward conversation. I grab my phone and answer without seeing who it is. "I swear Lil, it's going to be alright."