35. I Can't...

C A S S I E

I was sad when Nate didn't come back to see me, I understand things are confusing for him, but what about me? He's my best friend but also whatever the heck that was, I was with him for almost a year. it may have been a dream while I was in a coma, but it was my reality for so long. So, him ghosting me really is doing a number on me. He didn't show up the next day either when I got released from the hospital and I almost bit Lil's head off when she gave me that pity look. I'm pretty sure by now she will chew him a new one once she sees him.

By the time a week rolled by and still radio silence from Nate, I was getting worried. What if Victoria... no I shake that image from my head since it was not real. I don't even know what happened to her or where she is at. "I'm going to kill him." Lil grits through her teeth but I can tell she is just as worried. It's one thing to shut me out, but her as well, something just doesn't sit right with me on that.

"I hate to do this babe, but I have to go." Truly a smile presents itself on my face for the first time in seven days. "Go Lil, it's fine. I am not letting you cancel your date with Derek." She lays her head on my shoulder, and I can tell the nerves are getting to her, because she is clinging onto me for dear life. "You'll be great, better than great. Just be the wonderful person that you are. I know Derek is going to love you." She looks up at me from her head on my shoulder and I swear I see sparkles in her eyes. Oh, dear God, she has it bad for him. "If you need an out just call me." She stands up and shakes her head in protest.

"Are you insane!?" There's my girl. I smile up at her. "I just hope I don't throw up." She scrunches up her nose in disgust and I grab onto my stomach laughing. "Shut up, Cass." She throws a pillow at me. "Love you too Lil."

"You know it."

She blows me a kiss as she heads out my door. I grab my phone and stare at his contact for a moment debating on trying to call him again. Shaking my head, I slam my phone on the table. He doesn't care anymore. All these years and now nothing, because of something that wasn't my fault. I wipe the tears from my eyes as I scan the documents of me handing over my shares to the company to my uncle. One thing is for certain, I do not want it, I want to do my own thing, whatever that may be.

My phone rings as I just finish the last document and pick it up without looking. "Damn Lil, that was quick. What happened?" Worried that something went wrong I bite my bottom lip.

"Is this Cassie?"

I gasp as I drop my phone. Who the hell is that? "Fudge snicker." I reach down and somehow the damn thing is under the couch. "Fiddlesticks!" I grab it and groan out in frustration. "Fuck!" Once I get the phone to my ear again, I can hear a husky chuckle on the other end of the line.

"Cute."

"Who is this?" I look at my phone and see the caller id. "Why do you have Nate's phone?" My anger diminishes some but now I am starting to panic.

"Calm down sweetheart."

"D-don't call h-her that!" What the hell?... Nate? "Is he alright?"

"Darling, he is three sheets to the wind, and I will not let him take his keys and he refuses an Uber. He insists I call you."

"I see."

As much as I have been worried about him, he is freaking drunk. "Where are you located?" I grab my purse and my keys to my condo and am already heading towards the elevator as I slam my door shut. "I'll send you the address doll." My whole body goes rigid as the line goes dead. Noone has ever called me that besides Nate. The moment I see the notification I swear because now more than ever I wish I could drive. Once in the lobby I rush outside and see that it's about fifteen minutes away from here. I wait for the Uber driver and when the car is here, I jump in and give the location.