Chapter 1: Cantata

"It's been awhile since I've seen Phenix, I've wrote to them countless times, I know it's against one of the rules but I can't help but miss them, they were my friend and even though I have such vague memories of them, I feel as though a part of me is missing without them." So much of life had been saved up in these voice recordings and notes locked away and could only be opened by my eyes. I sat at my desk. It appeared I had sat down to complete a homework assignment but I had gotten caught up.

I looked at the fake padlock again and cracked it open with ease, it was just decoration, it did nothing to unlock the actual journal. That's what I thought, at least I always took it off and read the rules beforehand. I felt like reading it again. Troy's handwriting was comforting and the little corrections that were made by Nika made me smirk.

Never leave journal unattended while unlocked

Never leave any door open for too long

Keep this journal away from water or food

Never bring this journal outside of the house

Never use this journal in public

Only let people you know well look in this journal

You may NOT use this journal in front of Fenix

Do not speak of this journal in public

This journal must stay completely intact and always functioning

In the event it won't turn on or react give to Troy or Nika

It seems my life has changed a lot ever since those rules were written, and even though they seemed so simple they seemed so hard to follow. When I was younger I was always so eager to show everyone at school because I felt so cool to have such futuristic tech. Maybe it was to teach me that I needed to live a life for me and not for the people watching, or maybe some humility to not try and prove that I was better than others. However if that were still the case then for what reason would I need to follow them, maybe just to establish some consistency.

I looked over at the time, it was really time for me to get going soon, but I didn't really feel like it, I was tired. Was there something terribly wrong with being exhausted on the weekend? I was supposed to go to a restaurant with Nika today. It was a South African place, his home country, so he was excited to go. I would be cruel if I decided that I wasn't feeling well at the last minute.

"Ambrose, are you getting ready? Nika is gonna pick you up soon." Troy and Nika had been together for a long time from what I could remember, however I remembered that Nika would always stay on the city side of the coast for work. He didn't like that water much so he preferred to stay in a tall skyscraper far away from it. Troy was talking about permanently moving in with Nika as I was not allowed to go near the water. Troy had believed that seeing it from my bedroom window every morning and night tempted me to go, though I had rarely thought about it.

"I'll be ready soon, I just need to finish getting dressed." I lied, I was far from ready, however if I came out as a mess no one would notice, it appears to be that I was never in a mess that was visible to others. When I was younger I found lying to be very difficult as though it went against my very nature but now I don't really care as much and they leak out whenever I need it.

"Alright, alright I won't bother you about it again." Troy chuckled lightly. "Also I love you, and Nika does too, though I am sure that he will tell you himself, but I thought while we're on the topic we might as well expand right?" This logic did not make sense, I remember I was always the kid to point it out verbally while everyone else would just quietly stare at me and were slow to react. I would abruptly say what after that not understanding that it would make it worse.

"I love you too, both of you, but of course I'll tell Nika that myself, I figured while he's part of the topic might as well expand on it, otherwise it would seem like I was picking favorites." Troy laughed in response more than I did, she always found my little antics hilarious. It reminded me that Fenix had also found my little antics hilarious and my mood dropped after that.

"Alright no but seriously be ready by the time Nika gets here. He's patient, but it would be cruel to take advantage of that." As Troy's footsteps echoed back down the hallway away from my room I gave a sigh of exhaustion, I didn't feel like getting up, maybe if I had told Troy that, something would change. However I felt the need to hide my exhaustion as of late and I didn't know why.

Before you leave have prepared a lovely Author's Note: Hello my beautiful reader even though I can't see you through my computer screen I am positive you are immaculate. I'm sorry to tell you, as if now I don't have a steady update schedule. I may disappear for a matter of months at a time due to health and school related issues. Congratulations for completing my first full chapter, I thank you so much. Please leave your thoughts, opinions, concerns, concentrations,  and constellations in comments. Have a pleasant life, until we meet again. Every single chapter is now getting a special question for you to answer, even though you can now read ahead and cheat to get the correct answer it does not matter. So without further adieu our question of the chapter is; What's up with that long list of rules? Why is it there? What happened with Phenix? Also now that you have gotten your first insight in on Ambrose as a character, what do you think?