Chapter 2: Chord

"Any drink to get us started off with?" A lady asked us. The environment of the restaurant despite being new felt as though it was made years prior to it's opening, the warm atmosphere of smells that were nostalgic to Nika. As for me, it was a refreshing and curious experience.

"Oh so many options, Ambrose, do you know what you want?" Nika, looked over the menu he looked so excited not knowing where to even begin. I wondered if I would feel the same way when I was an adult and moved far away from my home. I knew it wasn't the same thing as Nika had different circumstances, however, that was the best thing I could compare it to.

"I like yogurt so maybe this one." I pointed to the drink on the menu to the lady.

"Excellent choice boy, One Yogi and-"

"You have Yogis, no way, I thought they couldn't be imported! I remember those from my childhood Ambrose, my mother would always give us one for lunch when we had no school. Drinking one would bring me a long way back, yes I'll take one too." Nika concluded. I enjoyed hearing whatever story Nika would have about his past, they were always much more interesting than my own life. Sometimes I even imagined what it would be to have a life like that.

"I'm happy, we have our ways to make everyone happy. So two Yogis and do you know what you would like to eat or would you still like some more time?" They copied down our order.

"I don't think we're ready to order yet. Thank you so much." Nika was also good at talking to people, I tried to be like that and it appeared that I was making some progress. I finally appreciated the fact that I had someone to look up to.

The woman walked back into the kitchen. "You know for a long time I would have thought that this place reminded me of home but not so much anymore. Maybe when I was a young entrepreneur who barely knew english looking for his purpose in life. I couldn't say that anymore, because I find that in a way South Africa will always be my home country but far from my home." I couldn't understand what Nika had meant by that but I continued listening in silence, until he finished and I was just more confused.

"I don't really get it, even when I move away, and go to college or whatever I decide to go, that won't make college my home right? When I go to adventure the world, whatever place I decide to stay in won't be my home, right?" It didn't make sense to me, home is, well I didn't know, but where I was right now, with Troy and Nika felt right.

"Well my home is more than just the place where I came from, I mean it may be my culture and my family, but that's not really what my home is. You see, when I had to move because the friendly people weren't so friendly anymore, I was terrified, but I knew I would be in harm's way if I stayed. That is why it was no longer home, sure I had memories of it being a beautiful place but it wasn't safe for me anymore." Nika continued on, and I had begun to somewhat understand what he had meant.

"If it wasn't safe at home anymore I would rather forget about it. Nika, it should be painful yet you are already talking about it so happily" I questioned.

"You can be tricky sometimes Ambrose, I speak more fondly with time. The thought is still new in your mind but when you've become accustomed to it. By the time I met Troy I was already able to forget, sometimes forgetting is the only way to move on. Now that I remember I'm over it" He chuckled, it was very different from Troy's dry chuckles.

"Troy said that you had something important to tell me and she said it was better if you told me since according to her you have great eloquence." Troy had talked to me about this many times believing I would need preparation. At this point it felt like I was ready to hear that the world was going to end in a few days.

"Oh yeah that, when I was younger I grew up with lots of siblings. You haven't had any sort of company around the house other than Troy and when you come to visit me. A long time ago we went to a special doctor and even though it was our dream they said with Troy's health if she had a baby she wouldn't last for very long. I wanted a child very badly but without Troy our dream would be lost, so we found you instead and you fulfilled that dream." I had somewhat known this already but I couldn't understand why he would bring it up now. What was he getting at now?

"Yes I know, Troy tells me that all the time."

" Recently we visited the special doctor again and they said that Troy's health has improved immensely, well enough to have a child. Ambrose, I know this is going to be a big change you're probably going to be jealous a lot too, I know the feeling." Now I had understood what Nika was trying to tell me and I was overwhelmed. The thought of a new life being brought into the world overwhelmed me with excitement. Yet I was also in fear at the thought that my very life would never be the same no matter the outcome.

"So you're saying that it won't just be the three of us anymore, I'm going to have a younger sibling. I mean that's really cool, but will I be able to, well you know?" My hands began to tremble, something about this also made me upset and I couldn't quite piece it together. Why would that be? I should be happy that my life would not be so lonely anymore.

"Yes, if all goes well. We'll all move into the city and start a new life, I believe it will be refreshing. A change of pace, I won't stay young forever after all." Nika chuckled again, the way he described it sounded so nice. I could imagine living in the city that I looked at from my bedroom window. It would be a good change of pace and maybe I'd meet more new people.

"Wow, what's it like in the city? I went there a few times with you, but living there, what's it like? Do you eat in cool places like this everyday? Is it easier to travel across the world?" I began to bombard home with questions I thought were necessary, I'm sure he knew the answer to all of them.

"Well living in the city and visiting the city are two completely different things, the first thing is that you have to know the areas to stay out of. I'll teach you. I only eat in places like this sometimes when I don't have to make meals, but even then I won't have time to sit down and chat. It is easier to travel because we have an airport so close by, but with all the traffic I don't even think about it. Also-" I only became more curious as he answered my questions. Still I wanted to leave some mystery. I thought it would be cool if I were surprised.

"Don't tell me anything else, I want to be surprised okay?"I cut him off before he could spoil anymore for me. The sadness I felt from a minute ago had already disappeared now I was just excited. I was also less exhausted than I had been before.

"Alright, alright no more." Nika complied, I could have sworn he would keep talking as it was something he enjoyed doing, especially as a method of teasing. However, the subject was changed.

Author's Note: Returning like this? You are honestly too kind, you have no idea how glad I am that we have met here once again. I mean what a coincidence this is. My unfunny jokes aside I really am happy about any recognition I receive, down to a couple of views. Sorry that I haven't really posted for like a whole week even though you probably want a more consistent author rather lil' ol' me. I was thinking of creating a lady tea time book where anyone can come share their thoughts, ideas or just update me on how you've been and I'll give you my words of encouragement or weird thoughts in exchange. Any-who, I'll miss you until our next encounter please stay safe and no matter what I know you'll stay beautiful, Ciao.

Questions of the Chapter; Would rather live on the seaside or deep in the city? Looks like poor Ambrose isn't going to have much of a choice though. Do you think Ambrose is getting a little brother or little sister? Don't answer if you already know from reading ahead.