Chapter 13: Nocturne

"Today was my first day of going to school. I've always done independent studies with Troy but this was so vastly different. As if now it's too early to say which one I like more but so far I'm not too sure that I want to stay. That's besides the most important matter. After around ten years I've finally encountered Phenix, I thought that such an occasion would be a lot more exciting. However he doesn't remember me, he has no idea who I am. Everything we did, everything that made up a large chunk of my sentiment meant absolutely nothing to him as far as he was concerned. Somehow for some reason it burns, I don't know why but it really does. I wish there was some way that I could change that, but I'm not even sure if I'm actually talking to the right Phenix. It doesn't make sense that I'm not but still. It seems that I've only messed things up. I also met this girl, I don't quite understand but it feels like it's impossible to communicate with her. I tried to talk to her and yet she hasn't said a single word back. I guess the only good thing was that my escort was pretty cool and so we're my gym teachers, they were all so understanding of the fact I had no idea what was going on. I'm not sure if they'll be nearly as accepting tomorrow. At lunch I was able to find a seat, I sat next to the gym teacher and had a pretty cooI conversation. Apparently he used to be a fighter pilot. The rest of my day was just classes with unfamiliar faces who didn't care enough to know things about me." After closing my journal I collapse onto my bed. I've never felt such a strong exhaustion prior to this. I just want to completely dissolve under my covers.

Talking to my journal did remind me of the note I had received that girl during class. I carefully took it out of the pocket where it previously resided and unfolded it. "I want to tell you a secret, meet me in the library." I don't even know where the library is. Nonetheless I brought the note to Troy and Nika as upon opening the note I immediately became naturally suspicious.

Nika just arrived through the front door when I had marched into the kitchen, we entered the room almost simultaneously. When Nika returned home he would always have a grin on his face, happy to return to the people he loved. Today, however, his grin was almost stretched beyond the point of natural, "How was your first day of school? I bet it was pretty hectic huh?" He welcomed me into the embrace of his arms though it felt awkward against his formal suit. I can't remember since when but I am taller than Nika, hugs make it obvious.

"Yeah it was rough." I shrug it off honestly. "Some girl in my first class gave me a note" I pull the note out of my pocket once my arms are free again and carefully transfer it to Nika's hand.

Troy and Melokuhle were off by the stove assembling a meal that had begun to waft into the air leaving a pleasant trace. However upon hearing of this note they slowly creeped across the room and leaned into Nika to investigate its contents. "I have a secret, meet me in the library after school." He reads aloud, his face appears to now be deep in thought. "Is this from a friend?" He asks after thinking thoroughly, and I still can't tell what he is thinking.

"I'm not sure, she didn't say anything to me, but she handed me this note and then followed me but then ran away before I was able to ask her anything." I realized that it's been awhile since I've had a genuine conversation that didn't have to do completely with school.

"Ah I see, I know that type of girl too well." Nika winks as though alluding to something that I should understand, but I don't understand. "If I were you I would follow through with it, you never know what kind of beautiful things could blossom from funny little encounters like this." Nika hands the note back to me, how long has it been now?

"Oh okay, I guess I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow." I return the note to my pocket but as I do the silence seems to endure for far too long, in fact I can feel eyes focused on me for far too long. I turn around to see both Troy and Melokuhle staring at me with their marching eyes. I have no idea what I've done to be scrutinized by them. " What?!" The words finally erupt.