Chapter 6: Attracting Customers

Once she entered the slave market, Bai Yu noticed the inhumane behaviour those slaves, who were either kidnapped or sold by their relatives for a little money, had to go through. She was once again thankful to have been born in a blissful family and a peaceful era.

Buying two trained slave boys, both twenty years old, and two little girls who were twelve for just 10 taels of silver, Bai Yu decided to return home after visiting Master Wang.

Going back to the mason's shop, Master Wang informed her that other than providing accomodation and food to the workers, the whole amount including the wages and money required to buy materials, she would have to give one Gold ingot to Master Wang.

With a bleeding heart, Bai Yu said goodbye to the Gold ingot she had acquired just today. Signing a contract with him, she took one of the copies and paid him 50 taels of silver as advance. Leaving her address, she left the shop.

"Miss is so nice, I heard from Da Hu that your average buyers won't even give any extra water to slaves like us; let alone having us ride the carriage together?" One of the two girls, Feng Qing, whispered to the other girl when she noticed Bai Yu sleeping in a corner of the carriage.

"Exactly! Miss even let us have warm food and a change of clothes, I really wish to be able to always serve Miss wholeheartedly." Feng Lan whispered back with stars in her eyes. One could notice faint admiration and worship from these two simple girls' eyes for their master.

Driving the horse carriage in front, the two servant boys were also discussing this same topic. Afterall, it was really their good fortune that they could meet such a good master.

It was almost dawn when they finally reached back to the inn and woke Bai Yu up. Yawning as she stepped down from the carriage, Bai Yu still felt a little unaccustomed to this dilapidated inn.

Asking everyone to rest, Bai Yu went back to continue her sleep. Ince in her room, she immediately flashed into the space and continued to sleep on her big soft bed.

Just like this, the New Year's Eve arrived quietly. On the construction team's side, Bai Yu had them build the stable at the latest, followed by the inn. The residence would be completed at the end, since there already lived the 6 of them, they couldn't possibly move into the stables just for the reconstruction in late December, right?

On the New Year's Eve, Aunt Li went to the town and came back early with lots of stuff; and then Bai Yu could hear all sorts of noises made by the five of them.
Pasting red paper couplets on the doors and windows, cooking various dishes with enthusiasm, feeding the horses and cleaning every nook and corner with a broom.

When Bai Yu finally decided to leave her warm room, she looked at the completely different environment, and went back to change into the clothes Aunt Li had recently stitched for her.

In this joyful environment, the New Year was spent and the construction team returned to continue the work. In the past month or so, Bai Yu had accomulated many good things from the system's daily rewards; including but not limited to some precious life-saving pills, some beautiful and easy to use weapons like daggers and crossbows, and ofcourse money.

A good news was that she had been informed about being able to open the mall once she accumulates 150 points: although the high number made her depressed, she still couldn't resist the excitement. Although only 45 points had been collected yet, when she thought about those novels with system malls that would contain any and every thing, she was still very excited.

After another two months, the construction of the inn and residence was finally completed. Now she has to work on the next step: publicity.

Bai Yu took out a big wooden board with the words "Moonlight Inn" written on it in beautiful calligraphy which she had prepared beforehand. After having it hung in front of the inn, she took out hundreds of wooden boards which had the same words in calligraphy printed on them.

It was an advertisement for her inn, afterall, customers won't come to her door just like that, there needed to be something to attract their attention.

Sending the two boys with the wooden boards, one of them set off towards the town 50 miles away on the ox cart while the other moved towards the County Seat 100 miles away in the opposite direction from the town.

Their task was to secure these wooden boards each some distance away from the other, from the inn to the town and county seat so people would know her inn's location just by following those wooden boards.

After 2 days, both of them finally returned after having completed their tasks. The Inn had also been ventilated after all the construction, and Bai Yu started decorating it.

She took out a chandelier which had small compartments to light with oil and cotton (like an oil lamp but its structure is like a chandelier). After hanging it on the cieling of the lounge, she took out a brown wooden reception desk with a high stool, set it in the reception area and put some papers, ink, brushes, small candles and colourful candies wrapped in paper inside the desk.

In the lounge, she put the sofa set that she specially went to the county to have the best woodworker make according to her requirements. The whole set was maroon and golden themed. Hanging famous paintings in the lounge, she gave it the finishing touch and went towards the dining room.

After decorating the ground floor, she started with the 10 rooms on the first foor. Hanging gauze curtains, putting identical maroon bedsheets on the beds, side table and lamps, she went to the second floor. These six rooms would be the VIP rooms for those rich and noble people.

She decorated those rooms with even more care. Pure white bedsheets with golden embroidery, both soft and hard pillows and exquisite wooden screens, she finished off with pure white persian carpets on the floor.

Now she was completely ready to welcome her very first customers in this world.