Chapter 26

Liu Xian Fei continued to speak with a chilly tone. "In the past Xue Rong was no less spoiled than today's Chaoyang Princess1. The emperor experienced great prosperity in those years; who did not praise him for his ambitious plans and leadership? As for the harem of three thousand, even if the emperor's rain and dew were unevenly distributed among them, they were at least visited by His Holy Grace. But ever since Xue Rong appeared, everything changed, and the emperor slowly began to neglect the other women in his harem.

"When Liu Xian Fei witnessed Xue Rong's striking arrival last year, she also went mad with jealousy at Xue Rong's treatment."

Recalling these memories, Liu Xian Fei smiled faintly. "Xue Rong was truly an unparalleled beauty, causing enmity among the harem. Many tried to scheme against her, but all failed. The emperor's protection was too secure, giving them no chance."

"But as for your mother..." Liu Xian Fei's gaze turned distant as she recalled the faint shadow of that long gone woman. Li Ching Hua-how long has it been since she last thought of this person? She will always be that graceful woman in a light colored dress, smiling gently as she held her books.

"Your mother was originally the most beloved in the harem, but later after Xue Rong's appearance, she gradually turned silent. As time passed, she lost patience with Xue Rong and went to deal with her. The emperor had spotted her arguing fiercely with his newly favored concubine, causing his displeasure towards Li Ching Hua. Since then he never paid attention to her. No one expected that soon afterwards, Xue Rong would die of a sudden illness.

"At that time, the emperor desperately ordered a thorough investigation, where he discovered that your mother was involved in Xue Rong's death. She was responsible for Xue Rong's chronic poisoning!"

"Is that true?"

Gong Jue spoke anxiously as he quickly lifted his heads towards Liu Xian Fei. He looked at her with a measuring gaze as if to weigh the truth of her words. Gong Jue furrowed his brows as he thought of his mother-she was someone gentle and elegant, not someone who harbored enmity and schemed to murder human life!

Liu Xian Fei was surprised by his fierce eyes. She glared back at him coldly.

"What you say about her nature is true. Your mother enjoyed reading books. Every time she brought books to Xue Rong, the inner pages of her volumes were tainted with colorless, odorless poison...she really is a learned woman who enjoys reading. With her knowledge, even her means of murdering is brilliant. The poison she used would not be toxic if exposed to in small quantities and thus would not be easily discovered. If the emperor did not conduct the investigation in time, given one or two more days, no one would have been able to expose her crime!"

Gong Jue's thoughts were in turmoil. So...so Father decided to use Liu Xian Fei to kill my mother? That's why she framed mother for multiple crimes and then poisoned her to death, and...even sent me to the Cold Palace? No, no, it's unreasonable for father to use her hand to kill.

He didn't believe that his mother could be such a person. There is no way that he is a son of a father who would murder his own loving wife!

In truth, Liu Xian Fei did conceal part of the matter.

During the investigation, while the emperor desperately sought Xue Rong's murderer, Liu Xian Fei happened to have a subordinate who specialized in medicine and poisons.

Indeed, the emperor could not find who was responsible for Xue Rong's death at that time. While his investigation was ongoing, Liu Xian Fei was informed by her medical practitioner that she had detected a poisonous flower's scent emanating from Li Ching Hua's body. This caused her suspicion that Li shufei2 was involved in Xue Rong's death.