Chapter 27

Gong Jue stood defiantly before the emperor with his blood-stained robes. His eyes were bloodshot and his hoarse voice was filled with hurt.

"This matter has nothing to do with Sister Gong!"

"Silence!" Gong Yi Mo yelled out suddenly. Without sparing Gong Jue a glance, Gong Yi Mo walked straight towards the raging emperor.

Emperor Gong's expression was currently twisted in fury so she approached him vigilantly. She gently patted him to appease his temper and asked, "Father Emperor, who has provoked your anger?"

"Who else?" he shouted. When he turned to see who spoke, his eyes blinked in surprise to find his favored little princess. As he gathered his thoughts, the emperor's expression slightly relaxed, but he still continued to glare at Gong Jue. How did he not discover before that this quiet boy was actually one who spoke back so viciously!

Gong Yi Mo smiled patiently as she spoke to appease the emperor. After calming her prideful father, she turned to the crowd and asked with a cold voice, "How did this matter start? State your reasons!"

The people who knelt upon the ground stared at one another, until finally a eunuch dressed in a green uniform knelt before the princess and said, "Chaoyang Princess, I am the servant who serves the Fourteenth Prince. Princess, please serve justice to those responsible."

Gong Yi Mo glanced at Gong Jue who avoided her gaze and lowered his head. She turned back to the servant. "Explain yourself."

The eunuch lowered his head and cleared his throat. "The Fourteenth Prince is immature because of his young age. When he saw the wooden carvings in the Ninth Prince's hands, he merely gave a few jokes, but the Ninth Prince suddenly retaliated and injured the young Prince!"

"Oh?" Gong Yi Mo looked to the Fourteenth Prince with undisguised dislike. "I wonder what did the Fourteenth Prince say?"

Her words caused the crowd to quiet down; there was obvious anger in her tone.

The palace eunuch trembled as he nervously said, "The Ninth Prince carved a wooden figure whose face appeared very similar to your Highness. And so the F-Fourteenth prince said...he said-"

At this time the eunuch dropped even lower to the ground and cowered before Gong Yi Mo. "Princess please forgive this sin. It was all because the Fourteenth Prince had disrespected you that the Ninth Prince had broken out in anger."

He continued, "But even if the Ninth Prince was angry, was there a reason for him to injure the Fourteenth Prince? How could he shed blood when they are brothers! He dealt with him too harshly!"

The eunuch lifted his head warily at the princess and said, "But the Fourteenth Prince merely pointed out that the Ninth Prince seems to have strange affections towards your Highness, Chaoyang Princess. Such an affection towards a princess, and his sister at that, will disrupt the court order. Therefore, the Fourteenth Prince spoke for the sake of the princess' honor. So why should the Ninth Prince retaliate?"

After hearing such an extraordinary claim from the eunuch, the crowd hushed down in silence. While his words accused the young prince, his words were actually targeting Gong Yi Mo's reputation!

Both Gong Yi Mo and Emperor Gong knew that she was not related by blood to their royalty; everyone else at that courtyard had no knowledge of this fact. To them, Gong Jue's intimacy towards Gong Yi Mo was a crime of disrupting the court order. Since they were siblings, it was only expected that Emperor Gong would punish the prince who harbored unusual affections towards her.

However, she was not truly the emperor's daughter. With such complications, it was no wonder the emperor burst out into anger and had tossed the wooden figurine resembling Gong Yi Mo on the ground. Gong Yi Mo sighed, her heart filled with displeasure. She wondered which people had schemed such a method without even hesitating to use the Fourteenth Prince as a cannon fodder.