The Sound of Drums

A vortex appeared in a London alleyway and the Doctor, the Artist, Martha and Jack all appeared in the alleyway too. They all groaned and stumbled, trying to regain their bearings. "Oh, my head." Martha groaned.

"Time travel without a capsule, that's a killer." the Doctor grunted, then turned to the Artist. "You alright?" he asked her.

"Yeah, but let's not do that again." she replied, rubbing her temples.

Jack cracked his neck and led the way out of the alleyway and into the street. "Still, at least we made it." he said, "Earth, 21st century by the looks of it. Talk about lucky."

"That wasn't luck, that was my brilliant Artist" the Doctor replied.

"I did nothing." the Artist said modestly, "A first-year academy student could fix a Vortex Manipulator."

———————————————————————————

On Malcassairo, the Doctor and the Artist ran over to where Martha and Jack were bracing the door against the Future-kind. "Jack, keep your arm still." the Artist said, flashing her sonic screwdriver over Jack's vortex manipulator.

"I'm telling you it's broken." Jack told her, "It hasn't worked for years!"

"It is now." the Artist retorted as the manipulator whirred to life again.

"Everyone grab hold, now!" the Doctor ordered. They all grabbed onto Jack, and the Doctor pressed a button on the manipulator, sending everyone away to safety.

———————————————————————————

The quartet were soon all sat in a public area, discussing their next move. "But this Master bloke, he's got the TARDIS." Martha pointed out, "He could be anywhere in time and space."

"No, he's here." the Artist replied, "You can rest assured he's here."

"Who is he, anyway?" Martha wandered, "And that voice at the end, that wasn't the professor."

"If the Master's a Time Lord, he must have regenerated." Jack realised, "He's changed his face, voice, body, everything. A new man."

"Artist, look." the Doctor told the Artist telepathically, and she looked round to see what he was looking at; a homeless man tapping a rhythm of four on his mug. Both Time Lords frowned at that. There was something about that rhythm that seemed familiar.

"Then how are we gonna find him?" Martha asked, pulling them out of their thoughts.

"We'll know him, the moment we see him." the Doctor replied.

"Time Lords always do." the Artist added.

Martha then noticed some posters on the wall nearby, encouraging people to vote Saxon. "But hold on." she frowned, "If he could be anyone... We missed the election, but it can't be..."

Just then, a giant screen in the plaza showed a newscast. "Mr Saxon has returned from the palace and is greeting the crowds inside Saxon headquarters." the newscaster said, and the screen changed to show a man in a suit walking through a building hand-in-hand with a blonde woman and waving to the press.

Martha then realised; "I said I knew that voice. When he spoke inside the TARDIS, I've heard that voice hundreds of times. I've seen him, we all have. That was the voice of Harold Saxon." She pointed to the man on screen, and the Doctor and the Artist both realised that this Harold Saxon was the Master.

"That's him." the Doctor swallowed, "He's Prime Minister."

"The Master is Prime Minister of Great Britain!" the Artist gasped in horror.