XI

So thanks to Saratu and her sister's attempt to question her husband supposed lover my relationship with Akbar has been fully mended.

He felt so bad for what happened that day and apparently his brother too. I'm glad all is fixed and now I need to focus on how to confess my feelings for him.

I huff turning in my bed.
I know he's probably working at the office now.
Today is a public holiday but not for him.

I sit up.
I need advice, from someone of his gender so I called Nura.

"Heyyo"
He laughs "It seems like things are going well"
"What's that supposed to mean?"

He huffs "Before I could sense your sadness the moment you picked up the phone, I didn't ask because then you'd try to mask it but I'm glad it's gone now"

I nod "Me too. How's school?"
"It's great. Rounding up my exams in a few weeks and then I'll be home"

Now that got my attention.
What the hell was I supposed to do?
He knows we lost the house but he doesn't know I stay with Akbar.

"Didn't your professor advice you to try an internship program during your break?"
He huffs "I know but—the thing is. People now don't take internships seriously, they instead turn you into an errand boy except recommendations"

"So you have to be recommended?"
"Yeah but you need not worry, I'll pull through without the internship. I'm one of the best in my set so I think I can handle it"

"No, I'll do all I can so you better not start packing yet"
"Let's be realistic, how? But I think I'll be back in three weeks, I want to enjoy the break here for a while before I make my way home"

"That's good".
"So? What did you want to talk about? I could sense it in your voice"

Hearing him say that made me smile again.
"What do you think about a girl asking you out?"

"It's okay but there's a bit of pressure"
"Why? What if you like her?"

He huffs "Well it depends on the type of feelings I have towards her. Just because you like someone doesn't mean you want to be in a relationship with them, right?"

I stay quiet.
"If I like her as a friend then it's a pressure on me because if I decline her advances it could ruin our relationship for life and if I accept it then there's a possible the relationship won't work out and then we lose each other, worst case scenario we become enemies"

Now that was discouraging.
"But I think he really likes me"
"Who's this guy? And where did you meet him? Why are you the one making the first move? Is he a wimp?"

I shake my head "No, but I can swear on my life that he likes me, I know that".
"Are you sure he wants to be in a romantic relationship?"

"Yes, I am"
"Well, I know if I tell you not to, you'd still do it so go for it. But be careful, you know how you can get when you fall in love"

"I got it, thanks. Bye"
I end the call.

::

I think Amin likes me.
He's Akbar's close friend in the office.

He's kinda annoying and clingy.
He's already got people in the office talking about us and it's frustrating. Not because they're talking but because now people have dismissed the idea of Akbar and I being in a relationship.

I hate it.

The cafeteria is empty.
All employees are in their work stations.

So I sat by a table using my phone.
"I came to keep you company"
I raise my head and see him standing over me.