Chapter 4- The Clause

Hey everyone!
Before you start reading, I just wanted to say thank you for 100+ reads! I don't think I've ever had a book get that many reads so fast, so thanks a bunch!!
Okay, back to your regularly scheduled programming :)

I stared at Bernard and blinked my eyes in disbelief. My dad? Santa Claus? It was too ridiculous for words! This elf was delusional!

Dad must've been thinking the same thing because he quickly followed after Bernard. "I'm not Santa! I've had a rough night! There's been dogs barking, guns going off. Look, my back's killing me. Have you ever tried to shove a sea kayak down a chimney? I'm tired of the small talk."

The elves all stopped what they were doing and stared at dad. I quickly realized that what dad said might've been offensive. I approached him and tapped his shoulder. "Dad, I don't think you should say things like that," I whispered through my gritted teeth.

Dad glanced around at the elves. "Okay, I'm sorry. Yeesh."

Bernard turned around to look at my dad and noticed me. His stern gaze softened ever so slightly. "Who are you?"

I gave him a tiny smile. "I'm (Yn)."

Dad protectively placed his hands on my shoulders. "She's my daughter."

"Pleasure to meet you, (yn)," Bernard said, holding out his hand for me to shake.

I took it and blushed ever-so-slightly at the contact. His hands felt warm and gentle. "Y-You too."

"Great, we're all introduced." Dad quickly barged in. "Now can you please explain to us what in the world is going on here, Bernerd?"

"Bernard," I muttered.

"Whatever."

"You put on the suit, right?" Bernard shook his head while smiling to himself before he turned around and walked away.

"Wait a minute." Dad followed after the elf, and I trailed along. "Hey! I know where this is going. It wasn't my fault. The other guy fell, it was an accident. I've got homeowner's insurance and a good attorney. Not as good as my ex-wife's but let's not open up that wound."

We followed Bernard down a hallway lined with larger-than-life candy canes and colorful stained-glass doors leading to different rooms. I took it all in, gazing at everything in awe.

Dad continued talking and began getting frustrated when Bernard didn't respond. He grabbed his shoulder and turned him around. "Hold it a minute. How did you know the other guy was gone?"

Bernard sighed. "Can I get either of you a drink?"

"No, I don't want a drink."

"I'm thirsty, and hungry, too," Charlie announced, walking up to us.

"Where'd you go, Charlie?" I asked, slightly ruffling his hair.

Charlie smiled. "I went to go pet Comet."

Bernard grinned. "Who's this?"

"This is my son, Charlie," Dad explained before he crouched down next to Charlie. "I'm sorry. Charlie, this is..." He stammered for a moment.

"Bernard." The Elf corrected.

"...Bernard."

Charlie beamed. "Hi, Bernard!" He exclaimed, extending a hand toward the elf.

"Hiya, sport." Bernard greeted, shaking his hand.

Charlie looked at dad. "Hey dad, he called me 'sport,' just like you."

"Wonderful," Dad said, not sounding amused.

"Hey, you know what? I got something for you." Bernard said with a mischievous grin. He reached into his satchel. "Okay, now hold out your hand, all right?"