seven

The sheriff searched the woods all night for Rowan's body, but nothing came up. He was just gone or they had completely missed him. Although, I doubted it. Humans may be dumb but dogs had a sharp sense of smell.

"How could you miss a dead body?" Wednesday asked. We were heading to Weem's office. 

"Cause it wasn't there. No footprints, no blood, no sign of a struggle. Nothing, nada. My search party looked all night." He explained.

"Well, your search party must have left their seeing-eye dogs at home. We both saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of us." She explained. One person doesn't believe they could have been hallucinating, but two people see the same thing. There is honesty in that. 

"Did you get a good look at this monster thing?" He asked as we all climbed the stairs.

"It didn't stick around for a chat." We moved off the first staircase.

"I think it had better things to do," I muttered running my hand down my jacket. The picture sitting just inside the pocket.

"Maybe it was one of your classmates." Sherriff Galpin added. All fingers did point toward a Nevermore student or at least in this direction. 

"Sheriff, I find that question offensive,"' Weems paused her hand still on the railing as she confronted him. 

"I don't care, 'cause I got three other dead bodies in the morgue. Hikers just ripped apart in the woods." Three other bodies. Hikers though, not students. So it didn't go outside of the woods. 

"The mayor said those were bear attacks." Weems countered, her face pinched.

"Well, the mayor and I disagree on that." He continued.

"So you automatically believe a Nevermore student is the murderer, even though there is no evidence a crime was even committed." Weems gaze dropped to Wednesday and me for a moment. 

"I'm sorry. I forgot you only teach good outcasts here, right?" Sheriff Galpin stated. Weems was slowly losing her patience, she gave a long sigh before heading up the second staircase to her office.

"My guess is Rowan ran away. State troopers have put out an alert, and I've contacted his family," Weems moved her desk chair back sitting down. I stayed behind Wednesday's chair. There were only two others in front of her desk. A small cushion in between them, but I refused to sit that close to the sheriff. "But they haven't heard from him either."

"Cause he is dead." I pursed my lips.

"Dead people are notoriously bad at returning calls," Wednesday added.

"What were you both doing out in the woods with him?" Galpin asked as he sat down in the chair. Wednesday remained standing as well as me.

"I heard a noise in the forest and went to investigate." She lied. It was a plausible lie though. There were noises of leaves crunching under Rowan's shoes as he ran from us. "That's when we stumbled upon the attack."

"Both of you went to investigate a sound in the woods?" He questioned.

"Sheriff you never turn down the opportunity to investigate something in the woods. You could see all kinds of things." He stared at me, his eyebrows furrowing.

"Then what happened?" He asked looking back over to Wednesday.

"Then I ran into Bianca Barclay and told her to go for help." I nodded behind Wednesday as she lied to the Sheriff. "The next thing I remember, I was awaking in my dorm." She had passed out. I didn't understand why or if a vision overtook her, but she just collapsed.