twenty-one

My first guess was his shed. I opened the door seeing him standing in a paint-splattered blue shirt, jacket, and black sweatpants.

"How did you find me?" He smiled setting down his paintbrush. His hair was in a half up half-down style and I was not going to complain.

"This was the first place I looked, so you are very predictable." I teased moving to see what he was painting.

"Lucky guess," He shrugged. "I am usually at my other secret hideout by now." He added moving closer to me.

"You better be careful, you are still a suspect," I warned him. He nodded moving past me.

"Are you here to continue to accuse me as well?" He asked grabbing a cloth to clean his hands off.

"As well?" I asked him. He shook his head.

"It's nothing. What are you doing here?" He asked reaching out for me. I met him halfway allowing him to join our hands as he messed with my fingers.

"I wanted to see you," I whispered looking down at her hands. Pitiful. That is what I probably looked like. I was a wallowing blubbering idiot, but I didn't try to stop myself.

"Glad I am not the only one." He added pulling me closer to him. "What's wrong?" He asked me. I furrowed my brows at him.

"Nothing." I shook my head. He released my head gently kissing my forehead.

"I know you think you are a master at hiding your emotions Branwen, but I can tell." He said moving over to the other side of the shed. He was looking for something.

"I am not upset about anything right now though," I admitted. He just nodded pulling out a canvas. I noticed an easel had a sheet over it. "What's this?"I asked him reaching for the canvas instead he grabbed my hand spinning me around.

"A surprise. Don't look at that yet." He laughed. "You can look at this one though." He added shoving a painting in front of my face. It was a forest, the fog had settled around the forest, and there was a deep green glow to the debris.

"I already knew you were amazing at painting." I stared at him. He laughed.

"That is your painting. The one you were so upset that you ruined." He smiled. "You used that green." He said poking the canvas.

"You fixed it." I stared at it once again. "I still think you should have let me put a hole through it." I set the painting down don't the table so I could stand back and stare at it.

"I didn't fix it, I went with the brush strokes and that's what came up."

He turned his back and I reached for the covering. I wanted to see what was behind the painting.

"I will throw this whole bucket of pink paint on you." I heard him threaten as my hand touched the cloth. I looked over my shoulder seeing that indeed he had pink paint. In a large bucket. I sighed letting go of it.

"I just wanted to know what you are hiding." I stopped finally noticing what he was currently painting. "This is our abstract one?" I said noticing the murder scene background.

"Yeah." I heard him mutter as he hugged me from behind.

"If you get paint of me I will," I paused thinking of something I could threaten him with.

"Continue?" He laughed. I slowly turned in his arms facing him now.

"This is horrible," I breathed. "For the time being, I have run out of things to threaten you with. Something will come to me eventually." He just nodded slowly at my words. He leaned forward smiling, but he stopped a few inches from me. I gripped his shirt gently tugging him forward. I would not let him tease me. When our lips met, a small spark shocked us, but he didn't pull away.