twelve

I stood in front of the doors seeing Tyler behind the counter. He was already making people's orders and giving them to them. I wouldn't feel bad if I left right now. The door opened, and a couple walked out. I waited for the door to close, but it stayed open.

"Didn't know you had this volunteer job?" Xavier said. I looked over my shoulder seeing his hand on the door. He was the reason it wasn't closing. I sighed as Tyler made his way over to the door.

"Are you here for the volunteer job?" Tyler asked looking from me to Xavier.

"What if I said no?" I asked. Tyler just laughed walking back inside.

"I should have let the door close." Xavier sighed pulling it open farther for me to walk through.

"You should have let it shut the moment you saw him walking over." I agreed as I stepped into the cafe. There were people everywhere.

"I think there is still time to leave." He whispered. I sighed moving closer to the table. Tyler came out from the back holding two aprons.

"Put these on." He instructed. I grabbed the maroon rag and held it away from me. "We don't have any black ones," Tyler added. "There are outfits that you can change into in the back." I stared at him and then back at the apron. Xavier laughed as he started to take off his uniform. "You can change in the back room." Tyler tilted his head over his shoulder as he made another cappuccino.

"Do you know how to make coffee?" Xavier asked opening the backroom door for me.

"I do, but I am not making any coffee." I sighed shrugging off my blazer and laying it on a chair. The room was full of stock shelves. I saw the black pants and brown shirt that I was going to have to wear. 

"Contemplating suicide yet?" He teased grabbing one of the shirts.

"Depends, I really want some tea first." I stared down at the awful coffee brown shirt and the red apron.

"Look at it this way, at least they aren't pink." He pointed out. I rolled my eyes moving around a few of the shelves so that I could slip into the new outfit. It seemed that no matter where I went there were always uniforms or dress codes in Jericho. Folding my clothes in a neat pile I moved back around the shelves catching a glimpse of Xavier's back as he pulled the shirt down. I lifted the apron around my neck and pulled the string through the metal ring. "I still think we should just leave." He complained. I smirked and opened the door. I was caught off guard when Weems walked into the cafe.

"Well, now we really can't." I sighed. He furrowed his brows moving towards me as he tied his apron. He leaned around the doorway seeing Weems sit down at a booth. "That window of opportunity is gone."

"Does this mean you actually have to work now?" Xavier teased. I pursed my lips trying to avoid smiling. That was my goal. Well one of them. The others were to not talk to anyone, get out of here as quickly as possible, drink tea and maybe make Tyler suffer.    

"You don't seem so thrilled either." I pointed out.

"Xavier, will you bring tables coffee and take the empty cups?" Tyler asked handing him a tray. Xavier's smile was gone instantly. I watched the muscles in his jaw tense as he reached forward grabbing the tray from him. "Thursday, you can sit behind the counter, because you are going to scare people." He smiled awkwardly as he glanced back over at Xavier. "Yeah so." I looked away from Tyler as he brought a few people their coffees.

"Thursday?" Xavier asked, his face scrunched together. I shook my head.

"He thinks it's funny." I breathed. He just nodded looking around the room.