TWENTY EIGHT

A few days earlier ...
Loki's POV...
"What are we doing here, brother?" I question as I lean against the stone wall leading into the New York Sanctum.
"We are meeting Doctor Stephen Strange." Thor turns to me. "Need I remind you to behave?"
I roll my eyes.
"I always behave."
Thor and I are suddenly transported into the sanctum, and we find ourselves in a larger room that appears to look like a museum.

"Thor Odinson, God of Thunder."
A deep voice comes from behind us, and we spin around to see a figure floating in the air.
"Loki Laufeyson, God of Mischief. I had hoped that you would never step into this place."
"I am a changed man."
Strange raises an eyebrow.
"I can vouch for my brother." Thor quickly interjects. "He is working with us to stop Thanos."
Strange nods, and we are suddenly transported into comfy leather chairs.
"Tea?"
"I don't drink tea." Thor says at the same time I say yes.
A cup of tea is suddenly in my hand and a tankard of beer in Thor's.
"Now, what can I assist you both with?"
Thor and I glance at each other before turning back to face the sorcerer.

"We have come on behalf of the Avengers to ask for your help." Thor starts. "The mad titan Thanos has kidnapped two of our friends – Mellona Barton and James Bucky Barnes."
At the mention of Mel's name, I look down at my cup of tea, suddenly finding the delicate china cup very interesting.
"How did Thanos manage to get an Avenger and an Avenger's daughter?" Strange questions.
Thor shifts slightly in his seat.
"I do not believe that is important."
"Oh, but I think it is." Strange leans forward in his chair. "You want my help? I want to know everything you know. I can't have this biting me in the ass. I am the protector of the time stone, and nothing will stop me from making sure Thanos stays as far away as possible from it."
I edge forward and place my cup and saucer on the wooden table beside me.
"It was my fault that Thanos got his hands on Mellona. He sensed her power, and I delivered her to him. I trained her to use her powers, and she got stronger and tricked me. How he got James Barnes, we do not know."
"He has used the sceptre on Mel and Bucky to control them. They are not responsible for their actions. They are partnered with another man, Erik Killmonger, an American mercenary. It does not seem that the sceptre has been used on him." Thor continues.

Doctor Strange glances between the two of us for a moment before speaking.
"Why are you now wanting to help?" He directs his question at me.
"I have witnessed a fraction of what she can do with her powers. No one is safe if she gets all of the infinity stones."
Strange raises an eyebrow.
"So, you're not doing this just to get hold of her powers?"
I scoff. "Everyone thinks so little of me."
"It saves time." He quips.
"As soon as Mellona is safe, I shall be leaving earth. The Avengers will lock me up as soon as they are finished with my help. I shall no longer be a bother once this is all over." I explain.

Doctor Strange must see some truth in my speech. He leans back in his chair and sighs softly.
"I can gather an army of sorcerers to help. I suppose we have a mutual mission. Destroying Thanos' main weapon would be more beneficial if we do it sooner rather than later." He stands up, and Thor and I copy. "I need some time to gather everyone."
"We can give you time, but we may be calling upon you soon. We don't know when she is coming to earth, but she will, and destruction will follow." Thor says solemnly.
Thor extends his arm, and the two men shake hands.
"We really appreciate your help." Thor smiles, and he passes Strange a device. "This is a way to contact us if something happens. We have the other one. As soon as you set it off, we will be here; ready to fight by your side."
Doctor Strange smiles softly.
"Thank you. I shall gather my army, and we will be ready to face Mellona and Thanos."

We are quickly transported to the front door of the sanctum. Stephen is standing at the top of the stairs, where a glowing orange portal has appeared.
"I wish you luck, my friends." He grins before stepping into the portal.

Thor and I glance at each other before exiting the building and making our way back to the Avengers tower. Maybe with an infinity stone on our side, we will have a chance against Mellona.

A/N -
Apologies it has been so long since my last update. I'm in my third year of uni, so I have loads of course work and assignments. Hopefully, I will be able to update a bit more frequently.
Thank you all for sticking by.