TWENTY

The Collector takes a moment to register my words. He clearly recognises us, or at least one of us, as his dark eyes keep flittering to Bucky.
"Carina, leave us." Taneleer demands, turning to the Krylorian girl.
The girl nods, scuttling out of the museum. The Collector turns back to us, showing no fear. I admire his courage; I am just worried that is what is going to get him killed.
"Where is it, Taneleer?" I question, stepping forward.
"I beg your pardon?" He feigns innocence.
"Don't play dumb." I warn. "Where is the Aether?"
Taneleer just smiles.
"I have no idea." He shrugs. "I am sorry that I can't be more helpful to you. You may see yourselves out. Although, I would like to purchase your Vibranium arm, Mr Barnes, upon your inevitable death."

He turns his back to us, and I sneak a glance at Bucky. His blue eyes burn with anger as he clutches his gun. Erik remains composed, but his hands are tightly clasped around his sword. I take another step forward and lower my voice.

"The Reality Stone. Now." I threaten.
Taneleer turns back around to face me; his eyes sparkle.
"I told you, I don't know where it is. Why would I lie?"
I scoff. "I imagine it is like breathing for you."
"Like suicide." He whispers.
"So, you do understand." I smile, pointing the blade of my chakram disc at his neck. "Give it to me or face the consequences."
"You won't kill me." He jeers. "You don't even have the guts to hurt me. And, anyway, I only ever deal with the top guy."
I smirk, my eyes flashing with malice; now he has pissed me off.
"Call your salve in now."
He gulps, doing as I command. The Krylorian shuffles towards us, her head bent low.
"Get me the Aether." I say calmly.
"Or what?"

The disc flies out of my hand faster than the blink of an eye. It soars through the air, slicing the neck of the Krylorian girl. Blood squirts from her neck as her body and head fall to the floor.
"Do not make me ask again, Taneleer." I quip as my weapon returns to my belt.

His hands shake as he walks over to the vault. I keep my eyes trained on The Collector as Bucky stands next to me.
"Keep an eye on him." Bucky whispers. "He could be up to anything."
"Don't worry, Bucky. I've got this all under control." I smile softly. "Why don't you and Erik wait outside? Make sure no one disturbs us."
He nods, walking away with Erik. Bucky takes one last look at me before exiting the room. I turn back to Taneleer, who has finally opened the vault and is taking his sweet time. It won't be long till someone comes, and I dread to think how many panic buttons this man has.

"Hurry up!" I growl.
"I have to be careful. You know how powerful the Infinity Stones are." He sighs, placing the black box on the table.
I inch forward, the power inside of me itches to get my hands on the Reality Stone. I can feel the power inside of me burning. It takes everything not to unleash my power and kill Taneleer. My hands shake as my veins turn black. The Collector seems to notice my struggle.

"You will never be able to control your powers." He whispers, taunting me.
I feel my heart rate accelerating, and my skin feels tight, constricting. It is too hot, and I can't think straight. The power inside of me takes over.

Kill him.

Those two words invade my thoughts, and it is all I can think about. The power inside me takes over, and I scream, a sound so raw and intense that it shatters everything glass. Black shadows seep out of my body and consume Taneleer. A tendril of shadow curls around the Aether and brings it to my outstretched hand. The Collector is on his knees, choking as the shadows swirl around him.

"Hex!" A voice as loud as thunder booms in my ear.
A hand touches my shoulder, and I collapse, my legs too weak and shaky to hold my weight. The shadows dissipate, leaving fire and destruction in their wake. Arms, one warm and human, the other cold and metallic, hold me close to a muscular chest as I start to weep. Exhaustion takes over my body as I am rocked back and forth like a young child.

"It's ok." The voice is softer now. "I've got you."
"Bucky." I croak. "I can't control it."
He grips my arm and holds it out in front of him, inspecting my black veins.
"It's ok." He hums, wrapping his arms tighter around my body as I shake with terror. "It's over now."
"No, it's not." I whisper back. "It hasn't even begun."