Prologue: An Offer You Can't Refuse

'Thought'

"Talking"

*Action*

"Powerful entity (gods, dragons, etc.)"

[System]

I slowly open my eyes, only to be met by an unfamiliar ceiling and the sensation of a different mattress. I rise from the bed and look around to see that I'm in some sort of empty room with no windows or doors.

"Where the hell am I?" I look at my hand and clench it and then unclench it. It was unnaturally cold. "Something doesn't feel right..." I look at the white ceiling. "Am I... dead?"

You would be correct.

"Gah!" I get spooked by the sudden voice and jump off the bed. "Wh- Who said that!?"

I did.

The voice was coming from everywhere, even in my own head. "Who are you? What are you? What happened to me? Where is this place!?"

In that order: I do not have a name, I am simply an A.I. created for the sole purpose of helping you in your transition to your new life. You have suffered a heart attack while you were sleeping, your parents found you this morning and took you to the hospital where you were pronounced dead. Finally, you are in the nexus where the earth and the afterlife meet. You were brought here because you were chosen.

My face fell at the news. "Oh, so I really am dead..."

You seem... awfully calm about this, considering the situation.

"Would it be better if I was kicking, screaming, and cursing? It wouldn't bring me back to life. Of course, not counting the shock that's keeping me calm right now." I explained.

As amusing as it would be to watch that happening, I'd rather get this along.

"Get what-"

Congratulations! You have been chosen to be the new host for the Gamer System.

I blink at the reveal. "Gamer System? You mean that gimmick in most fanfictions where the OC gets all these broken skills and abilities along with a harem full of hot babes?" It was a crude summary but I think it covered the term just fine.

Correct. I will guide you through the process so that you can get acquainted with the system.

"Alright, let's get started." A screen suddenly pops in front of me.

Quest Alert!

Quest: Tutorial

Pretty self explanatory, yes?

Objective 1: Open Status Menu

Objective 2: Open Inventory

Objective 3: Create your character

Rewards: 1000 EXP, Skills, Perks, ?

"So my first quest is a tutorial quest." I look back and forth. "Um... how do I get started?"

The first step is to open your menu. Simply make a mental command or say "Status"

"Status." Immediately a long screen appears in front of me with information.