Chapter Fifteen

We were heading to the bar tonight. Eddie had picked us all up in his van since it was the biggest car out of everyone's and we all were able to fit. I sat in the front with Eddie while Robin, Nancy, Steve and Vickie were huddled together in the back. The Hideout was having an 80's night tonight so we all decided to dress in 80s outfits.

When we got to the parking lot, Steve produced a brown paper bag filled with nips of Fireball inside it. He passed one to each of us and I grimaced at the smell when I opened the bottle. There was something about Fireball that never sat well with me but I wanted to pregame with everyone so I sucked it up.

"Cheers!" Eddie said as we all tipped our bottles into each other and downed our shots. Eddie and Steve laughed at the face I made when I tasted the whiskey. It burned going down my throat.

"C'mon," Eddie waved to us all. "Jimmy is waiting at the back to let us in."

I still couldn't believe I was about to sneak into a bar with my best friends and my boyfriend. It was still so weird that I could say that Eddie was officially my boyfriend now. I felt like at any moment, someone would wake me up from this dream and I'd realize it never had even happened because each moment of this summer had felt unreal. We got to the steps that led down into this dark area behind the stage. Eddie held out his hand to me to help me down the steps and he did the same for Nancy, Robin and Vickie. What a gentleman he was.

"Drinks?" Steve looked at us girls and Eddie raised his eyebrows at us from behind Steve's shoulder.

We all agreed and giggled. "We'll grab a table!" I yelled to Steve over the music and followed Robin and Vickie across the room to a table they had seen in the corner that had enough seats for all of us.

"So," I continued as we sat down. "Nance... You and Steve?"

Nancy tried to hold back a smile. "I know what you're thinking." She said, "But it feels comfortable with Steve. He's actually present and attentive when we're together. He wants to do things with me. It feels like we just picked up where we left off."

"Did you guys hook up?" Robin cut right to the point. Nancy started to hold a smile back as her cheeks began to flush.

I gasped. "You did!" I reached across the table to swat at her. I was surprised but also not that surprised they had hooked up so quickly after the breakup. There had been something building between Steve and Nancy. It was as if Jonathan had pushed Nancy right into Steve's arms.

Eddie and Steve finally came over with our drinks and sat down. Eddie sat in the empty chair next to me and threw his arm around me. Nancy gave me a smirk from across the table as Steve did the same with her. Nancy already seemed happier without Jonathan around but I feared she was moving on too quickly.

As I sipped my drink, people started getting up to dance in the middle of the room. I certainly wasn't drunk enough yet to dance in front of everyone.

"Do you guys want to dance?!" Nancy looked at me, hopeful I would say yes.

"I will!" Vickie piped up and Robin groaned as Vickie stood up and pulled Robin up with her.

Nancy glanced over at me again and I shook my head. "Not yet, Nance. Not enough liquid courage in me just yet."

She frowned at me as she stood before following Vickie and Robin to the dance floor. I continued to sip on my drink while Eddie still had his arm around me. I watched Steve as he watched Nancy dance. Steve looked at Nancy the same way Eddie looked at me. There was something about the twinkling in his eyes as he watched Nancy move to the music.

"Do you want another?" Eddie asked when he heard my straw start to make a slurping sound. I didn't even realize I had finished it so quickly.

"Um, sure!" I agreed. He took my empty glass and left Steve and me at the table alone.