Chapter Twenty-Three

Eddie gripped onto the fence, hiking one foot up into the chain link and lifting himself off the ground. I looked from him to behind me where I could still see the blue and red lights flashing. I felt frozen where I stood. I'd never been in a situation like this. Anxiety and fear crashed over me, paralyzing my body.

"Cas, c'mon." Eddie held his hand out to me, still attached to the fence about a foot off the ground.

I looked back at the flashing lights once more before looking up at Eddie, holding his hand out to me and pleading with his eyes to just take his hand and run. I grabbed his hand and started to climb the fence with him.

"Hey! You two, stop!" A cop yelled at us from a few yards away.

"Hurry." Eddie muttered to me as he pulled me up to the top of the fence. He swung his legs around and hopped down to the ground. I followed, swinging my legs around and jumping down. Eddie grabbed onto my waist to help me down. My heart felt like it was going to pound right out of my chest. The adrenaline coursing through my veins was making my heart beat so fast that I could hear it in my ears. Eddie grabbed onto my hand and started to pull me away.

"Stop!" The cop yelled again and I could see the bright glow of his flashlight heading right towards us from the other side of the fence but Eddie and I kept running. We ran towards the edge of the woods and Eddie guided me to a small carved out pathway that led to only God knows where. But I trusted Eddie. Even in this frightful moment of delinquency and rebellion, I trusted him.

The moon and the stars watched us from over our heads as these two miniscule beings in love ran hand in hand together through the woods. We continued to run through the thick forest of trees until we both could barely breathe anymore. Eddie stopped suddenly, dropping his hands to rest on his knees as he heaved in gulps of air trying to catch his breath.

"Shit, Eddie." I said breathlessly. "What the fuck are we doing?!" I never even went to a high school party when I wasn't supposed to and now I was running from the cops with Eddie. I was way out of my element and I admit that I started to feel scared. As much as I trusted Eddie, I was afraid of what was going to happen tomorrow, or even just a few hours from now. Eddie was most definitely going to be in trouble but what about Billy? What about me? We couldn't run from the consequences forever.

"We have to lay low for a bit." Eddie said, returning to his upright stance as his breathing began to regulate again.

"Eddie..." I trailed off at first as his eyes met mine. "I'm scared." I admitted.

Eddie pulled me into a hug, wrapping his arms around me and his hand cradling the back of my head, just like how he had when I woke up from that nightmare about Billy. I couldn't explain what it was about the way Eddie hugged me, but I felt like nothing and no one could touch me when I was cradled in his arms.

"It's going to be fine." Eddie assured me. "But we can't go home yet. The cops are out looking for us and that'll be the first place they'll go."

I pulled away from him to look up at his face. "We're just going to hide out in the woods all night?" I asked, looking around me at the dark, dense thicket of trees all around us. Who knew what could be lurking behind those tall trunks?

Eddie chuckled and I wondered what he found funny about this situation because right now, I was terrified. "I have a place we can go." He said.

We walked for what felt like about fifteen minutes through the woods until we arrived at this cottage that stood alone in the middle of a clearing that we stumbled into in the middle of the woods. It was quaint, with fading and chipped red paint covering the siding and broken shutters on the windows. The stairs looked like they had been there for ages. The wood looked like it was beginning to rot away and I feared that they would give out as soon as I took a single step onto them as Eddie led me to the front door.