2

A/N: pretty please could you vote? it would make me happy and give me the motivation to write more for you!

-K

The fog that covered the tranquil town of Forks was like a cage, it never let any sunshine in and never let anything out. The mist was a ghastly ghost-grey, it was lifeless and motherless. Rags of the mist warped the evergreens, it snagged and snared every crag and tree without mercy as it glided over the rain-sodden grass. It grasped at the calm water formed by the earlier downpour of icy rain which currently tumbled down from the stars above. The fog veiled the Swan residence in the weak light of the morning.

I had taken it upon myself to cook breakfast for the two of them knowing that they were both going to have stressful days; Bella starting her new school in the middle of the school year and Charlie worrying about her starting her new school in the middle of the school year.

The harsh sound of the ancient kettle screeching like a banshee jolted me out of my reverie as I made mine and Charlie's coffee. Trying not to burn my hand again, I poured the boiling water into the white ceramic mug with my already ground coffee beans and my milk already in. The heat disintegrated the roasted beans into the boiling water and milk blend, then swirled with my metal spoon to ensure that any lingering coffee beans from swirled when I placed the spoon in were in the coffee, leaving a trail of dark gold fracturing and spiralling into my drink. The chill was foreign to my warmer body as I perched on one of my kitchen counters. I took a little sip of my hot coffee before the tip of my tongue got burnt and I stopped. I blew gently over the rim of the mug, the steam began rolling over the other side of the mug into the crisp morning air.

Charlie arrived downstairs first, clad in his police uniform as I was cooking some bacon and eggs. I first brought over his coffee for him and placed the morning newspaper by him.

"Fleur, what did I say about doing this? You know I am perfectly capable of doing things myself, I don't want you to feel forced to do this." Charlie lightly scolded me.

"Fine, I will only do it when you have work in the mornings, I was already up and I know how you don't eat when you're worried. Bella is going to be fine today, if anything happens I will tell you straight away." I spoke as I plated up his breakfast and brought Bella's over to the table.

As he knew I was right, Charlie rolled his eyes playfully, a small smile adorning his tired features. "I'm going to make sure Bella is up and ask her what she wants to drink with her breakfast. I'll be right back." I said giving Charlie's shoulder a little squeeze.

I made my way up the slightly creaky stairs and lightly knocked on Bella's bedroom door. "Bella, it's time to get up. You start school today and I don't want you to be late, I made you breakfast too." I said, trying to persuade her to get up, "What drink do you want with your bacon and eggs, Bells?"

"I'm up Fleur, and please may I have orange juice? Thank you, I'm just going to get ready for school." Charlie's daughter replied in a sleepy voice.

"Ok, I will see you downstairs in a few minutes."

I went back down the stairs, grabbed Charlie's plate, and loaded it into the dishwasher. He thanked me and I went to the fridge to grab Bella's orange juice and placed it on the table just as she was coming downstairs.

Breakfast with Bella was a quiet and slightly awkward event after she thanked me for making her breakfast and complimented me on my skills.

The only words spoken were Charlie wishing his daughter good luck at school, he stood up from the old square oak table tucking in one of the three unmatching chairs and giving me a quick side hug which made my cheeks heat up before leaving for the station.

I packed Bella a lunch and also gave her some lunch money, just in case she wanted something from the canteen. She left the house quickly but not before wishing me a good day and once again thanked me for the breakfast I made her and the lunch. I heard the loud engine roaring to life.

I cleaned up Bella's plate which had been placed neatly in the sink and went to the living room. Grabbing a copy of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, I curled up on the couch with a hot cup of coffee and a warm blanket and got lost in the intricate words of the book.