one.

Jovie peeked into an open cabin door, her heart filling with hope as she saw it was only occupied by one person. It was a girl with long ginger hair and a book the size of a dictionary on her lap.

   She looked up at the interruption, "can I help you?"

   The blonde smiled, stepping into the cabin, "can I sit with you?"

   The girl's face lit up, "of course!" She began scooting over to make room for Jovie beside her. Jovie grinned, she was being unreasonably adorable and sweet. She just found a friend. And she was really gorgeous.

   Jovie let out a sigh as she slipped her bag securely under her seat, sinking into the cushions. The redhead chuckled, "tired?"

She had no idea.

   Jovie smiled, "yeah I just had a run in with a group of boys and I might've embarrassed myself. I haven't decided yet."

   The girl smiled, "Potter and Black?"

   The blonde nodded, "you know them?" The redhead sighed, reaching to close her book. "Unfortunately. They're the Marauders, self named. Most popular boys in school."

   Jovie nodded in understanding, she could see why they were popular. They were pretty nice and attractive so it made sense.

   "Well at least you got out of there. My name is Lily Evans, nice to meet you." Jovie grinned, shaking Lily's outstretched hand. "Jovina Scamander, call me Jovie." Lily's eyes widened, "your father is Newt? That's amazing!"

   Jovie nodded, her father was rather infamous.

   She and Lily launched into discussion, talking about everything under the sun. Why she started at Hogwarts so late? Traveling parents. The run in with the Marauders? Slightly embarrassing, she had decided. Magical beasts? What's not to love?

   "Lily I'm back-"

   Jovie raised her eyes, a boy with long black hair and pitch black eyes at the door, his arms full of snacks. His smile dropped in an instant as he set the snacks down on the seat. "Who is this?" he spat, almost accusingly.

   Lily simply smiled, "Sev this is Jovie Scamander, she's new this year and needed somewhere to sit." The boy took a seat, crossing his arms over his chest, "I thought we were going to hang out? Just us?"

   Jovie could feel the tension. She smiled, standing, "I can go, I didn't mean to interrupt anything-" Lily cut her off, "no it's okay. I'm sorry Sev but it wouldn't be nice to kick her out. We can hang out alone another time. Promise."

   The boy, Sev, just slumped into his seat, pouting. "Fine, my name's Severus Snape...nice to meet you," he said the last part like it physically pained him.

   Jovie pretended not to notice, smiling widely, "nice to meet you too."

   Lily jumped right back into conversation and just like that the awkward atmosphere was gone. They talked the entire train ride, Severus eventually having enough of pouting and joining in.

   He and Jovie ended up getting along quite well aside from the occasional questionable comments from the boy.

   "Looks like we're here," Severus peered out the window. He stood, grabbing his bags. "I've got to go to Slytherin house, see you later Lily, Jovie." The two girls waved as he exited looking rather dejected.

   Jovie stood, slipping her bag around her shoulder, "where exactly do we go from here?" She looked out the window as students gathered on the platform. Before Lily could answer the cabin door flew open, James Potter standing there.

   "Finally! Hello Lilypad- Jovie you're here too!" He grinned, "how would you two lovely ladies like to share a carriage with me?" Jovie smiled, waving to the boy as she swept her hair off her shoulders.

   Once again before either girl could answer they were interrupted. Sirius barreled into James, knocking the boy on top of Lily. He jumped up, throwing his hands in the air, "wipeout!"

   Remus appeared in the doorway, "you bloody idiots," he frowned.

   Lily furrowed her brows, "James Potter you get off me right now!"

   Sirius pulled James to his feet, the brunette smiling sheepishly at Lily. "My apologies," he winced as Sirius flopped down onto the seat, hooking his arm over Lily's shoulder.

   He gave her a lopsided grin, "aw forgive him, he didn't mean it, Lils."

   Peter poked his head in, "If you blokes don't hurry we'll miss the carriages."

   Jovie watched the group, smiling as she made her way over to the door. She didn't exactly know what she had gotten herself into but she knew it would be fun.

   "Let's go then, shall we?"

* * *

   The ride to Hogwarts was a short one. The entire time James was flirting with Lily as she tried to keep herself from jumping out the carriage, Remus, Peter, and Jovie deep into discussion about the foods that might be at the feast.

   While Sirius just stared quizzically at Jovie.

He swore he recognized her from somewhere.

   Remus smirked, leaning in to whisper to the girl. "You're the first girl within a miles radius he hasn't flirted with, he must really like you." Jovie raised a brow, turning her eyes to Sirius.

   He didn't even bother to try and play it off, seeming to zoned out to even notice that she had caught him in the act.

   She turned back to Remus, "I would be surprised."

   Remus just shrugged as their carriage came to a stop, the door opening. Peter and James climbed out first before James offered to help Lily down, the girl denying. Remus helped Jovie down from the carriage, Sirius hopping out swiftly after.

   The group made their way over to the other Hogwarts students, waiting to file into the castle. "Miss Scamander." Jovie looked up at the sound of the voice, a pretty older woman waving her over. She left the line, going to stand with the woman.

   "Welcome to Hogwarts, I'm Professor McGonagall. As you probably know we have a ceremony that sorts our students into different houses based on their attributes, I'm assuming you didn't want to go in with the first years so I've made special arrangements," she explained.

   Jovie smiled, "thank you so much. I had already steeled myself for the embarrassment to come," she joked, McGonagall smiling at her kindly. She held up the sorting hat, placing it atop Jovie's head.

   The hat came to life, beginning to murmur to itself. "Father was in Hufflepuff and mother didn't go to Hogwarts. How interesting... You have a heavy interest in magical beasts..." It continued to murmur, Jovie waiting patiently.

   "I see...Gryffindor!"

   McGonagall smiled, taking the hat. "Congratulations Miss Scamander, welcome to our house." The blonde grinned, shaking the woman's hand. "Thank you Professor."