twenty three.

"Why did I agree to this?"

   Dorcas grinned, holding the blonde by her shoulders, "come onnnn, you promised," she drawled out her words.

   Pandora smiled softly, "it's for a good cause."

   Jovie let out a sigh as she turned over her shoulder, watching Barty, Evan, and Regulus. The three had been acting strange ever since they returned from break and she couldn't figure out why.

   Feeling eyes on him, Evan looked up, a grin spreading across his face, "are we doing this or what?"

   Barty and Regulus exchanged glances before Barty put on a smile as well, making his way over to the blonde. "Let's go Goldilocks! You're in Gryffindor, be brave!"

   Jovie glanced back once more at Regulus.

   He seemed lost in thought, his face deadset in a frown as he stared at his shoes. She wondered if he was upset about his argument with Sirius.

   "We're on the clock, Jojo."

   Jovie shot a look at Barty before taking in a deep breath and pushing open the door in front of her. She put on her smile, smoothing down her skirt as she strode into the room.

   "Good morning Professor!"

   McGonagall smiled from her desk, looking up at her student, "ah Miss Scamander, my favorite student, what can I help you with?"

   Jovie grinned wider at her statement, seeming to light up the room in the process, "I was wondering if you could possibly lend me the keys to the greenhouse? Professor Sprout asked me to grab some pots for her but forgot to give me the keys."

   McGonagall narrowed her eyes before putting on a smile again, folding her hands together on her desk, "Miss Scamander?"

   Jovie felt her heart quicken, "yes?"

   "Would you please go get your friends from the hall?"

* * *

   "I tried, I swear! She saw right through me! She's just like my mum," she mumbled the last part, sulking as Pandora patted her on the shoulder.

   McGonagall smiled, "using Jovina was smart I will admit but she's never really had a knack for lying. So I'm assuming you wanted mandrake for a prank?"

   Evan sweatdropped, "of course not!"

   Dorcas groaned, "it's too late, she already knows. Please don't take away our house points," she begged.

   The professor shook her head with a small frown, "you six report to the forbidden forest, Hagrid has some tasks for you. I hope you've ;earned your lesson."

   "Yes mam," they echoed as they slowly filed from the classroom, Jovie staying behind for a moment.

   She frowned, a rare occurrence for the girl, "I'm really sorry Professor-"

   "Call me Minnie," McGonagall smiled, "I knew those boys would rub off on you at some point."

   Jovie couldn't help but grin, her professor reflecting the smile, "again I'm really sorry Minnie, I'll go now," she scurried from the room.

   McGonagall sighed, "these kids of mine."

* * *

   "This is such bs," Barty groaned.

   Jovie smiled at him as she followed him through the woods, "we just need five plants, it'll be fine as long as we stay on the path."

   Regulus nodded, "we already have two."

   "Yup," she popped the p, "we just need three more and we can be back in time for dinner."

   Their punishment had been to split in half and search for some plant Hagrid needed in the woods. He was waiting for them just outside and assured them as long as they stayed on the path, everything would be fine.

   Barty suddenly stopped, Jovie ramming into his back. She rubbed her nose, "what's wrong?"

   The boy glanced around, "I thought I saw something."

   Regulus rolled his eyes, "you're being paranoid, let's just get this over with."

   Just then a bullet of black mist shot by, knocking Jovie off her feet. It swirled up into the air before disappearing once again.

   Regulus paled, he had seen that mist before.

   What if Sirius had been right?

   Barty quickly picked up Jovie, his eyes now wide, "we're going back, now."

   Jovie looked between the two, confused, "what was that? Hey, don't ignore me!"

   Barty pulled her behind him, speed walking as he tried to get to the entrance of the forest. However something blocked his path, or rather someone.

   Regulus frowned, "Bellatrix."

   The young woman smiled wickedly, "hi Reggie, Barty-kins."

   Barty tightened his grip on Jovie's wrist, taking a step back. The blonde peeked from behind him, her widening at the curly haired girl. She had seen her in the papers, she was a death eater.

   Bellatrix grinned at the blonde, "oh look at this little ray of sunshine, how adorable! No wonder everyone adores her so much!"

   Jovie's brows furrowed, "what?"

   Bellatrix ignored her question, flicking her eyes back to Regulus, "you have one month Reggie, don't do something you'll regret."

    And just like that, she vanished.