Night four

Night four, and after last night, I was incredibly excited to get back to work. So much for "i'm never going in there again those things are terrifying". Now I have something to look forward to... Mike. I was really warming up to my coworker, maybe he wasn't so bad? When I walked into work that night it was a much better experience than the night before. Sure I still felt like I had been taken back in time to my younger self in my dark basement, but this time it felt like someone was there, beside me. Almost like a bodyguard or something, and I'm almost certain that bodyguard is my ego. I walked in the office, prepared to hear whatever sarcastic comment Mike came up with and spit out a better one, but he was nowhere to be found. There was a sticky note on the desk and in messy handwriting it wrote.

I've already started doing the tasks on the task list, watch the cameras for me ;)

-M

I chuckled at the little winky face on the end of the note, not a sarcastic comment, but certainly a very Mike kind of move. I sat down, propping my feet up on the desk. I grabbed the tablet and frowned. The only task on the task list to do was to watch the cameras.

"Then what the heck is Mike doing?" I thought out loud, looking through the cameras to find him messing with an older animatronic. I leaned in closer as I watched him work, his hands carefully changing wires and bolts on the suit. Yet something felt off, I thought we were just supposed to be doing minor fixes to the stages and AC, it was in the description to stay away from the animatronics and not to mess with the extra parts. Maybe Mike had special clearance or something? Whatever, I could ask him later when he was done. About an hour later I flipped through the cameras to find Mike right up against one, tapping on the screen. I almost jumped out of my seat, he scared the frick out of me. The cameras didn't always have the audio so I couldn't hear what he was saying, but I could communicate with him through the intercom. Messages went by every so often anyways so the animatronics shouldn't be too surprised to hear a voice around the pizzeria, it was safe to assume I could use it. I pressed a button and after a bit of ringing I was able to speak.

"What do you need?" I asked and Mike held up a wonderful drawing of the tool box at the back of the office. "Will do, be there in a sec" I said, hoping up from my chair to deliver the tool box. It took me a good few minutes of sneaking around before I found the room Mike was in. I tiptoed in and Mike whispered a thank you under his breath.

"Mind if I stay?" I asked quietly "It's offly boring in the office"

"No problem, you can pass me the tools" he smiled a little and settled down in a seat beside him, passing him the tools he asked for. We sat in silence as Mike worked, the silence occasionally broken from him asking for a different tool.

"Hey Schmidt?" I asked. He hummed a bit in response. "Why isn't this task on the task list?"

"Oh sorry, I'm usually the one who inputs the tasks. I must have forgotten" he responded while still working.

"It's ok its just... a bit weird, I was certain they had given us specific instructions not to touch the animatronics"

"Well I get special clearance" he stated, his voice growing slightly angrier.

"That's what I assumed but still I-"

"Well you assumed right so keep that assumption and let me work" he cut me off, his tone rude and mean. Why was he so angry? I was just curious, if I could get clearance like that it would be so cool, he didn't have to be a jerk about it.

"Goodness, sorry" I replied, rolling my eyes and passing him the next tool with a little more force than was needed. He grunted and gave me a cold stare, and I stared back in the same way. We continued to be angry at each other, for the rest of the repairs. When he was done he simply packed up the stuff and left. I had begun dozing off to sleep and hadn't noticed him leaving, so naturally I woke up terrified when I couldn't see him anymore. I rushed out of the room trying to move as quickly and as quietly as possible, why would he leave me there!? I ran into the office at full speed and saw Mike there, casually inspecting the cameras.

"What the hell!?" I didn't want to yell too loudly for fear the animatronics would hear me.

"What?" he said, pretending to be clueless about the situation.

"You LEFT me there, in the dark, alone!"

"Did I..? Oops" OOPS, did he just say OOPS.

"I could have died, I was in the dark and ASLEEP! I wouldn't have known if the animatronic was anywhere near me, one of them could have VERY EASILY snuck up on me and I would have been done for". I was absolutely fuming, what the frick did he think leaving me there like that.

"Relax, the animatronics would have thought you were some kind of... side project or something, they would have left you alone" he shrugged

"How do you know that?" I crossed my arms and stepped closer to him, it reminded me a little too much of the night before.

"Oh darling-"

"Don't try that on me" I cut him off "I'm sick of that"

"But you weren't last night~" I had just about enough of him. I walked by him and took the coins they had given us for the free pizza and walked off. He didn't even try to follow behind me, which honestly pissed me off more, I didn't care if he had been certain the animatronics would leave me alone, he shouldn't have left me there. But I knew he wouldn't apologise so better to distance myself than give him the reaction he was looking for, he wanted me to be mad, he wanted the upper hand. I wouldn't let him have that. I sat in the cafeteria, miserably munching on some horrible pizza, I mean, who made this, it tastes like shit. I eventually gave up on trying to finish the pizza and sat in the caf for a while. I heard the camera on the other side of the room turn ever so slightly. He was watching me. I smirked, maybe I hadn't lost the upper hand after all. I checked my watch, it was almost 6:00, I should probably head back to grab my stuff, and face Mike. I walked into the office, he was ignoring me, which was fine with me, I would just ignore him too.

"You know, it's not like the animatronics would bother with a boring person like you" of course he just had to get one last thing in.

"Maybe that's why you've been able to work here for so long, the animatronics only go for the good ones" I snapped back.

"May I remind you, that you were the one who started flirting with me yesterday. I can't possibly be that bad". Oh, so he wanted to bring that up now.

"Well you continued... So I must have some appeal too". He looked at me silently calculating his next move. We both sat there in silence, Mike staring at me, and I was staring at him. You could almost see the tension between us, neither person knowing what to do or say next. What would happen? Would he insult me or try to flirt with me again? Suddenly my watch beeped, 6:00 am, well, that works I guess.

"See ya Schimdt" I said, patting him on the back as I left immediately regretting my decision, why did I have to do that? Whatever is too late now. Once I got home I obviously told my sister everything, she didn't seem too impressed either. Welp, all I can hope is that the next shift is better and I don't accidentally get left behind again.

---------------------------------------------------------

This chapter was very silly billy lol (that's all I have to say). Word count 1.4k