Prologue

I'm on my way home from training in the forest on our domain when I get a text from my twin brother. He reminds me my father wants us to eat together tonight.

He told us earlier that day he needed to discuss something very important tonight.

When I arrive home, I see Lukas pacing around on the phone. He is making a phone call but abruptly stops when he hears me approaching from afar. "What's up?" He startles at the sight of me but quickly composes himself, earning a frown from me.

Dad often holds little dinner meetings to discuss some "Alpha business" with us, nothing new, right?

I felt a shudder crawling up my spine but shook it off.

He told us he would soon have to decide who of us was going to be the new alpha but throughout the years my dad has made it obvious to both me and Lukas that I will be his heir.

I'm pretty certain, actually, so I don't understand why I feel like things aren't going to go as smoothly as I assumed they would.

"We're just going to discuss some stuff. The usual, I guess." He shrugs after greeting me.
"Alright, I was kind of worried when I saw you on the phone. "

"Oh, it was nothing, just Simon."
Simon Mikhailov is my brother's friend. We've known each other since childhood as he's the son of a mighty alpha too, but unlike Lukas, I had never been close with him.

He smiled. "Let's head inside, shall we?"

We entered our house through the massive front door. One of the servants told us we could find the Alpha in the dining room, so that's where we went. Our dad welcomed us with his arms spread in a welcoming gesture.

"There are my boys."his deep voice sounded hollow in the large hallway. "Hi dad,"

"How was training, Damian?"

"It was alright, I think I'm really improving."
"What about you, Lukas? Have you learned anything new these days?"
"Nothing in particular, just hung out with Simon and stuff."he replied, looking at the table as he took a seat. The rest of us follow, taking place at the beautifully decorated table.

"About simon."He paused to clear his throat, " You know his older brother Ivan, who almost died last year during that rogue attack?"

"Wait, almost died? I thought he didn't survive that attack."I asked, surprised, looking at Lukas. Why didn't he tell me?
Lukas avoided my gaze and instead watched the servants enter to serve our food.
"Well, Alpha Dimitri and his Luna decided to keep it a secret from the public because his chance of surviving was so low and they didn't want to give false hope, as you know, Ivan is very loved by the pack."dad explained.

I understood the meaning behind his words. They hadn't expected him to survive. Even with the best doctors they could afford, his chances were so low that he was on the verge of dying, and that showed too much weakness for a future alpha.
"This also means our Simon won't become Bloodmoon's alpha after all. And that has caused a bit of a... well, you know how the Mikhailovs are... So me and Dimitri have decided..."he paused, swallowing hard even though he hadn't taken a single bite yet."
We have decided to give Simon the position of beta in our pack at the side of our future alpha as a little consolation."

Wait, so I wouldn't get to choose my own fucking beta?
Did my father even realise how big of a deal this was?
I don't even know Simon that well, and he needs to be my right hand for the rest of my life?

"You can't be serious."I whispered.

I was already fuming until I looked at my father and Lukas. They quietly shared a look, and I realised that wasn't what he meant. He meant that I wasn't becoming the alpha. Lukas was...