𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝟑𝟖

Delphina wanted to be excited that she could finally sleep. But the reality was, calling it 'sleep' was generous. The magic in her system warred all night. Mal's spells pressed against Fairy Godmother's defenses, and Fairy Godmother pressed right back. A constant push and pull that was using Delphina's body as the battlefield.

Every time she tried to sleep, it was the same. She'd close her eyes and her mind would finally begin to drift to the land of dreams, then Mal's spells would gain the upper hand and yank her consciousness back down, jolting her awake and sending a dull ache through her mind. The pain wasn't as sharp, though. It didn't throb as much or stab through like a knife.

It was more faint this time. Like a fresh bruise that someone kept pressing down on. It didn't hurt as much as the initial injury, but it didn't tickle either.

Before she knew it, another sleepless night had passed. And despite the fact that she had probably the most important meeting of her life in 30 minutes, Delphina still felt dull inside. She wouldn't get excited. Not until the meeting was over.

Not until she knew nothing had gone wrong.

It was nice getting ready with Audrey again, though. Once the princess had woken up and taken her shower, she had guided Delphina through her skincare routine, even sticking slimy, gold under-eye masks on Delphina's face before she knew what was happening.

"You look like a raccoon, Fina." Was all she said when Delphina protested the products. Delphina had glared at her briefly, but conceded, allowing Audrey to continue massaging creams and serums into her face. When both girls were finished, Delphina promised Audrey she would meet up with her at breakfast before hurrying out of the room and beginning the familiar trek to the main building.

The quiet campus was unfamiliar, but nice. There were no stares, whispers, or rumors following her as she walked. Just a few tired students, mainly athletes that were on their way to or leaving an early morning workout.

She approached Fairy Godmother's office and for the first time, her anxiety finally spiked just a little. It didn't sound like King Beast had arrived yet, judging from the dead silence. But he would be here. She'd be meeting the king. The man who left her and hundreds of children like her to rot because of the actions of their parents. A small part of her felt like she was betraying every child on the Isle just by speaking to him. All the abuse, all the cruelty, all the struggles. They wouldn't have experienced any of it if Beast had just given them a chance. If he was the one to make the proclamation that let them off the Isle.

He was supposed to be a king. A ruler. A protector.

And he had let the many suffer because of the actions of a few.

Delphina rolled her shoulders, inhaling deeply. Not now. King Beast may have damned her to a lifetime of cruelty, but she couldn't be bitter about it right now.

Definitely later, though.

She pressed forward and twisted the doorknob, pushing open the office door. Fairy Godmother sat behind her desk and perked up at the sight of Delphina, rising from her chair. "Delphina! Come in, come in. Adam should be here momentarily." Fairy Godmother ushered Delphina inside and shut the door behind her, guiding the young girl to the couch. "How are you feeling? Did anything go wrong last night?" Delphina shook her head and almost opened her mouth to respond, but hesitated, still wary.

Fairy Godmother smiled softly at her and squeezed her arm comfortingly. "It's OK. You can talk now. It won't hurt."

Delphina hesitated for a moment longer before inhaling softly. "I...I'm OK." Her voice sounded slightly strange in her ears after having not been used for so long. But there was no stab of pain. No magical essence trying to force her to shut up. She could talk again. She could tell everyone everything.