Hymn of the heart

Every heart sings a song, incomplete until another whispers it back.

Srishti closed her face with her palm as she sighed . The past one week turned out to be extremely eventful as she had been really occupied with everything that happened at home, the book club and her classes. She was personally called to the principal 's office and was thanked for her involvement in the tutoring.

Her mind revolved around the way her Professor had described her efforts to the principal directly. She bit her lips again, he wasn't lying when he said that he'd never let her face anything alone.

To the extent that he had spent five whole hours grading all the essays she wrote for the admissions at the Ivy colleges, making sure to leave her enough feedback.

She looked at the girl in the mirror in front of her with hopeful eyes, today was a special day in her life.

It has been twenty years since she was born.

Srishti beckoned the tears that graced her pretty face softly, remembering how it was yet another year without her parents beside her on her special day. Shaking her head in assurance, she brushed her hair one more time before heading down.

Barath had left for work already, but he made sure to make sure his sister had something sweet first thing in the morning. Srishti found a bowl full of a generous serving of Semiya payasam with a Birthday Card next to it . He had also brought her a new leather satchel .

Srishti chuckled with tears in her eyes and savored the entirety of the sweet fully, appreciating the efforts her darling brother made for her.

Meanwhile, Priyanka had showed up again with a pair of heels that surprisingly matched her dress. She insisted that she'd look taller in them.

She figured that Chandru had already left, but she wanted to wish him, it was his birthday too after all.

Dismissing her thoughts, she reached college soon and was sweetly bombarded by her best friend with two balloons, a chocolate cupcake with a single candle which  sure was blown with a secret wish and a beautiful watch that she proudly clasped immediately,

Rahul had got her a giant travel mug filled with coffee, and the girls from the book club gifted her a beautiful vintage journal. Srishti 's eyes ebbed with happy tears at the efforts they all took for her.

She was mildly surprised at all their gifts and she didn't know why, they were her friends and family who were entitled with love.

She saw Chandru and his mates at the canteen celebrating his Birthday. And he didn't even bother to wish her. Srishti shrugged it off as she headed to her fifth class of the day, her legs slightly wobbling in the way,

His classroom was surprisingly empty that day and she wondered why, and true to her suspicions, Adhiran showed up from behind the bookshelf, he had been attending to his books, arranging them neatly,

His eyes fell on hers and gradually found her gift bags and balloons which she held in her hand,

' Birthday?' his brown eyes held so much emotion in them ,

'Ahma.. en birthday ' she smiled at him,

'Enaku therila ' he looked clearly disturbed,

' Athunaala onnu illa ma.. na dha sollala.. it's alright!' she slowly smiled at him, placing all the gifts and toed the balloons in her gift bag before standing up,

'No it's not,'  he made her look at him, his hands gently caressing her forehead, 'Happy Birthday, Sasha'

His eyes found hers so closely, and Srishti inhaled audibly, displaying no resistance from her part when he neared her. He looked so deep in thought for a moment before she whispered, 'Thank you'