Trench

Auklet drummed her claws on the arm of the couch she was curled up on. The scroll she was reading, Sparrow Rising, was extremely exciting and she didn't want to miss anything. Scavengers with wings, like dragons... But they have feathers, like birds... How strange.

"Skyborn. Why do the scavengers have bird wings?" Auklet glanced up, annoyed at whoever dared to interrupt her during her reading.

"Because they do, Cliff. Now off you go." Auklet waved her talon at him.

"Rude!" Cliff sank down beside her. "I'm bored."

"Mmmh..." She answered, reading intently.

"Are you even listening to me right now?" Cliff sounded as if he was struggling not to laugh.

"What? Of course I am! Something about a board." Auklet said, not looking up from her scroll.

"I said- whatever, nevermind. What's your book about?"

"Stuff."

"Stuff like...?" Cliff pressed.

"Scavengers who live in tribes kinda like us according to the colour of their wings. This girl called Ellie is a sparrow, who are often farmers, but wants to become a guard or something. Then all these other outcasts join her on her way to the capital. Read it yourself." Auklet summarised.

"You're reading it, though."

"When I finish then!" Auklet snapped. "But I'm sure Starflight has an extra copy somewhere."

"Geez, take a nap or something!" Cliff exclaimed, standing up.

Auklet looked up at him. "I'm sorry, the book's just really exciting right now!"

"Yeah, yeah. Have fun with your book. I'm gonna make some music."

"Kay. See you later." Auklet stared after Cliff as he wandered out of the library on his way to the music cave. Why was I so mean to him? I wouldn't have minded if he stayed a little longer! In fact, I would have enjoyed it!

* * *.
Auklet wandered through the halls of the school, pondering life. Can scavengers understand us? Could we understand scavengers if we tried hard enough? Do scavengers read?

Suddenly she bumped into someone! She looked up and saw the most handsome dragon ever standing there! Auklet knew this was love at first sight!

*Robot voice*
Error, error. Please wait while we fix the story.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Story fixed, please continue.

Auklet stumbled back slightly as she bumped into someone. "Excuse me!" She gasped. She glanced at the dragon in front of her. It was a seawing, just like her, but male. My age, my height, dark blue scales, and handsome!

"Hello princess Auklet. My name is Trench."

"Oh please, no 'princess' Auklet. Just Auklet. Nice to meet you, Trench." Auklet smiled nervously.

"Okay then, Auklet. The pleasure is all mine." Trench winked at Auklet and she blushed slightly.

"I-I have to go. You know, studying!" Auklet stuttered. "It was nice meeting you."

"Of course. Just, before you go, do you want to... You know, take a fly outside later?"

"Sure! When?" Auklet's eyes lit up.

"At sunset." Trench decided. "Meet you on the ledge outside the main entrance?"

"Okay, works for me. See you then!" Auklet ran off to her sleeping cave with wide eyes. Aloe jumped as she slammed into the room.

"What happened?"

"I think-" Aukelt paused. "I think I'm going on a date!"

"Really? With who?" Aloe bounded to her feet.

"With a seawing called Trench!" Auklet sank down on her bed, sighing. "He's so handsome."

Aloe nodded and smiled. "Trench. I know him. How nice."

* * *.

Cliff's POV

As Cliff walked into the prey centre in the evening, he felt as if every single dragon in the cave was staring at him. But when he looked around, everyone seemed busy with eating or talking. Or both. He thought, cringing at a Mudwing he walked passed.

"Okay. What's going on?" Cliff asked Vine, Rush, Shard, Aloe, and Crescent as he sat down next to them. "And where's Auklet?"

They blinked at him silently. Cliff shifted awkwardly. "Guys?" He asked in a warning voice.

Aloe sighed. "Look, Cliff, you might be a little sad and disappointed..."

Vine snorted. "A little? He'll probably burst out crying or something."

"Cliff doesn't seem like a person to cry very easily." Crescent pointed out.

"He might look brave, but he's probably a soft baby in there." Rush said.

"Probably so. Most dragons are like that." Aloe glanced at Cliff, who was looking at Shard for help.

"Shard, can you tell me what's happening?"

Shard nodded. "You might not like it." She said softly. "Aloe told us, and everyone else in here, that Auklet was going on a date with a seawing called Trench. You just missed them. They left to fly in the sunset together."

Cliff felt strangely... Disappointed. In himself. And sad. Very sad. He took a deep breath, however, to stuff it deep down so he could let it all out when he was in bed later.

He shrugged casually, acting as if he didn't care. "So? Why would anyone care?"

Everyone in earshot stopped and blinked at him.
Shoot. What did I say this time?

"I thought you'd care more." Aloe said. "I guess I was wrong."

Everyone was silent. Shard muttered something under her breath.

"He does care." Shard said suddenly. "He just doesn't want to show it."

"That's not true!" Cliff protested, his eyes shooting around the cave. "I'm happy for her! I know she wanted that!" I think.

"Sure, buddy. You just keep telling yourself that." Aloe said.

Oh no. Plot twist! What will happen next?
Anyway, I was happy to notice that I already have over 80 reads! I didn't think I'd get this many! Please keep reading, voting, and commenting!
Wc: 929
-Sunchaser