The Proposal

°

°

°

MONIKA

The two of you had rarely been home together for a complete day, even on the week ends. Work had drowned out most of your time spent together as now the two of you are living together.

You expected the term of "living together" meant you'd have her all to yourself but in truth of what society is, you need hard earned money to even keep this house. That's not to say that you were in any financial struggles but the work load asked for more than you were paid for and thus you'd only be with each other at your most drained cuddling in bed was the most affectionate you could be and even though it wasn't as a big problem as before, you and Monika grew secret worries that your relationship may eventually fall apart.

But neither of you would let that happen...

In a rough Monday afternoon, Monika prepared to head for her meeting with some new employees. Presentation prepared and masking her drained expression she made her way to the office.

Her head was not really in the game today because today you had left the house before her.

With how things were going, this simple act sent her into a wave of distress and worry. Every morning, knowing that you won't be seeing each other all day, you'd at least share breakfast and a kiss before leaving. But to not even see you there made her think that even that was not worth the time anymore.

And thus, she rushed her work along and drowned herself in stress and negativity.

She punched through the meeting room doors with a scroll of her presentation equipment and briefcase.

Monika: I'm sorry I'm late everyone, my 3 o'clock came in a little late today.

???: No problem, Miss Monika. Most of our trainees weren't very punctual either but you had solid reasons to be.

The man at head of the table greeted her and angrily glared at the rest who turned away as if pretending they couldn't see his judgment.

Monika nodded it off and began the presentation. Introductions, company policy and the usual run downs came off smoothly.

As she continued on with her work, she got back into the swing of things and could even function past her tiredness and temporarily mask her dark thoughts.

It came around to the point that her meeting came to a close and Monika awaited her response.

The man at the head of the table slowly rose. The Chief Executive of the very organization she's standing within.

???: You've done an excellent job Miss Monika, your performance has always been top notch which is why I chose you to take up this project....But I worried for one thing that you lacked.

Monika froze, unsure and curious of what could have possibly hindered her performance.

???: You seemed emotionally distracted. You always blared with passion when presenting a project. There's a lack of drive , no aim.