0.1 - A Pecuilar Group Of Kids, Part Two

Previously on The Destroyer's Successor:
I turned the corner..

Only to come into eye contact with the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.

Xavier's POV

I know what you're thinking. Xavier, you've seen plenty of cute and beautiful girls in Miami. How is this one different from all of them?

Well, for starters, this one didn't immediately try to bully me. And yeah, she was very, very beautiful.

 And yeah, she was very, very beautiful

"I'm guessing you're Xavier..?" she asked me.

I nodded. "Yeah. Xavier Marshall."

"That was just so sad.. you poor thing. You definitely deserved better than what you had in Miami.." she said to me. "Oh, by the way, I'm Daphne Blake."

Daphne Blake. What an incredibly beautiful sounding name.

I pick up the courage to speak what's on my mind. "I'll admit.." I say, scratching the back of my head. "..I don't think I was expecting a girl like you to be a part of a group that's disturbing the peace here.. and actually get put in jail."

She sighs, and looks down, unhappy.

"D-Did I say something wrong?" I stutter. Please don't let that be the case, please..

"No.." she replies. "It's.. just.. being a teen here in Crystal Cove is tougher than one can imagine, especially if you happen to be a rich girl like me.. living in that mansion overlooking one of the coves in this area.. with the pointed spikes for the roof and all."

I put two and two together, and am just stunned. "Wait a minute.. I know there's like a large house with pointed spikes for a roof that I can see the top of from the small residential area just to the south of it from my new house. Is that your place?" I ask.

She nods. "You're very observant.." Daphne says. "Clearly, you're more than just a victim of bullying.."

I frown, trying not to remember those times. "Logically.. yes, I am more than that.." I reply to her. "Even for a kid from a middle class family, I was both a nerd and a guy who worked out and trained with a sword - sword training apparently was a good outlet for me to help let out my emotions."

"Sword-wielding, huh.. most teenagers here only work out or train with a weapon - it's incredibly rare here, but I knew one guy who used to live here who did that - just to get girls to go on dates with them.. unless you're Fred who's way too interested in traps for his own good.." she replies, raising her voice when she gets around to talking about Fred, before lowering it back down. "..or Shaggy who's like way too interested in eating food. And to be fair Scooby does too, but that dog is just so sweet sometimes."

I turn back to the main topic. "So, you and your friends investigate every monster that crops up around these parts, even though people here don't want you to? I apologize if I'm crossing any sort of a tripwire here, but I wonder.. why even is that?" I ask her, and she's lost in thought for a few minutes.