epilogue ~ us

a/n: hi my TIU darlings. we have finally come to the conclusion of this story. 1.5 years later. it's crazy to think about. anywho, i've done my best to research IVF treatments and outcomes, so don't come for me if something is inaccurate (i tried!!!)

a/n 2: remember we have our little TIU celebration!! which I'll make a post about on Friday (on here and tumblr), which will include some fun things for you. i hope you'll join in on the fun. lastly, thank you so much to everyone who has followed this little story from the beginning. i owe y'all so much!!

--

~ Six Months Later ~

Two percent.

The IVF success rate for women ages 35 to 37, and you were smack dab in the middle. Well, you haven't turned 36 yet.

Your face was buried in your hands as you repeated the number. You sat back, turning to Jungkook. "The success rate is 2%. Two!"

He looked just as disappointed after the two of you spoke to the third fertility specialist within a few months, but Jungkook was always optimistic. "It's better than zero."

You groaned, leaning over and burying your face in your hands again. He rubbed in circular motions up and down your back. Your eyes began to well up, tears on the verge of falling.

"I know you're just trying to make me feel better, but this fucking sucks." Everywhere you went, the outcome was the same. There was nothing hopeful about the situation.

Jungkook massaged the back of your neck. He muttered softly, 'Hey.' He stood, holding your hand, making you stand with him. He pulled you in for a hug. His body warmth radiates as he embraces you. "We're gonna be part of that 2% success rate."

You pressed your ear to his chest. His heartbeat is steady. Bum. Bum. It begins to calm your own.

You don't want to say your thoughts, but your mouth is faster than your brain. "But what if we're not?" Your heart speeds back up.

Jungkook immediately withdraws from you, grabbing your shoulders and making you square up with him. "Okay—time to play 'worst case scenario.' Go."

The two of you started this little game, taking turns saying all the bad things you're thinking. With no judgment, no censorship—saying aloud your fears takes away the power they hold, according to your therapist.

"We get pregnant and lose the baby."

It was a scenario you already had in the past.

"We try all four cycles and don't get pregnant," Jungkook says.

"We exhaust every option, spend all our money, go broke, have to move in with Yuna and Namjoon, and still don't get pregnant."

Jungkook blinks. There's no show of emotion on his face. He closes the distance between you, cupping your face. "Or—we keep trying, get pregnant, and have a baby."

You gaze into those doe eyes you love so much. You couldn't do this without him and the hope and support he brings. "I'm glad you're here with me."

The corners of his mouth curved up, "Sorry baby, you can't get rid of me so easily."

"Baby?"

"I mean—wifey."

You chuckled, teasing him at his own game. "Can we go home and veg out?" All you wanted was a bowl of ice cream and your comfort movie.

"You're not giving up on me, are you?" Jungkook raises his eyebrow.

"Just for tonight, okay?" You give a small smile. "Then tomorrow morning, I'll put on my brave face."