Chapter 21 - Don't Go

Yo, this is short sorry.

----

Tears poured down your face, your eyes puffy and sore. Knees tucked in under your crossed arms, you became a Mobian cocoon. You didn't want to move. How could you? Your body felt like jelly as it tried to keep the pieces of your shattered heart inside. Ears flat against your head, you snuggled your nose under your arms as you stared out into the darkness of the abandoned train station. Your eyes remained straight forward, ignoring the painted stars that glittered the walls, ceiling, and broken train carts. Your tail tightened around you as your personal guard, securing your hunched form.

"(Y/N)?" his voice rung through your ears, bringing a fresh wave of tears. Silently sniffling, you tightened your hold on yourself. His footsteps echoed around the station, his metal tails clicking upon each step. An audible sigh puffed from his nose, his movements falling short behind you. "(Y/N)? Whats wrong?"

Those two words struck you like an arrow.

Whats wrong?

WHATS WRONG?

You shook your head, unable to believe his question. So, you remained silent. His hand reached for your shoulder but froze, the tips of his gloves barely grazing your shirt before he pulled back and took a few steps back. His mouth constantly opened and closed, unable to communicate his next words. Crestfallen, his defeated sigh caressed your ears as his shoes dragged against the cement as he turned to leave you, his heart unable to jump the crack that separated you both.

Ears perking, you spun your head towards him. Fresh tears flooded your swollen eyes. Nine slowly approached the ascending stairs. His back was hunched over, hands in his pockets. He looked like a beaten fox. His metal tails dragging on the floor. He placed one foot on the first step.

Desperate for him to stay, your heart trapped throat attempted to call his name but instead a strange squeak voiced itself. His shoulders tensed as he halted. Nine glanced at you with a raised eyebrow, his eyes soft as he placed both feet next to each other away from the steps. An embarrassed blush burned your skin but immediately evaporated as your mind reminded your heart that he was abandoning you.

Looking down, you swallowed your heart that was trapped in your throat, "Don't-Don't go."

Those two words had a double meaning.

You didn't want him to leave you alone now. Nor did you want him to leave you after now.

Shoulders slumping down, Nine flashed a kind smile as he immediately approached you. Silence surrounded the two of you. A peaceful quite. His tails move to his side opposite you and sat down. Leaning back on his hands, he gazed up at the synthetic stars. No sound. All quiet. Peaceful.

The silence that consumed you both felt like a warm comforting blanket. You could almost pretend there was nothing wrong. No drama. NO him leaving. Closing your eyes, you inhaled the warm comfort. Instinctively your tail unravelled from yourself only to wrap around the fox who sat next to you. His muscles tensed for a few seconds, before relaxing, his own tails (all nine of them) slid over and wrapped around your back.

A smile grew on your muzzle as well as a burning heat that bloomed on your cheeks. Despite the dark, Nine's eyes shone with an emotion as he glanced down at you.

But all good things Shatter.

"You saw my plans, didn't you?" his voice was soft as he pulled his eyes to look forward. Gulping down a sad whimper, you nod. Following Nine's gaze forward, you rested your chin upon your knee.

"You want to abandon this place..." you voice caught on the cooling air, "You want to abandon me." Your throat cracked, holding back your exploding heart. Nine's head snapped down to your face, his brows furrowed. Ears falling as your falling tears, he reached his hand out to wipe them away, but you pulled your head away. "I liked you," you weakly whispered. Nine's eyes widened. His lips falling in a flat line.

You had hoped he would return your feelings, but as he remained silent the stupider you felt. Closing your eyes, you tried to hold your heart together with bloody bandages. But it was doing little to help. Your mind rationalising reasons for him to not like you back.

For goodness sake you're missing an arm woman!

But worn bandages and band-aids can only hold so much.

You needed surgery.

Nine continued to remain silently. His eyes beginning to burn into the side of your head as you kept your eyes down cast. Your breathing was starting to quicken the longer you sat in silence. Silence. What was once nice was now torture. Your erratic lungs feeling its weight.

Your lungs panicked.

Your heart broke.

And your brain couldn't sooth both.

Blinking rapidly, you tried to hold back tears as Nine blankly stared at you.

Y/N you idiot! Why would you say-

"Why don't you come with me?"