Chapter 19

"Mitch I don't feel good." I said as we pulled up in front of the hospital and the car was put into park.

"What's wrong Cam?" Mitchell asked, looking at me. I shrugged and turned away from him.

"Are you sick or are you anxious?" Mitch said while putting his hand on my forehead to check my temperature.

"Anxious." I replied. "My stomach hurts."

Mitchell looked at me sympathetically and rubbed my shoulder. "I know Cam, we just need to get this over with, yeah?"

I shrugged and he got out of the car and walked around to my side and opened the door for me. I stepped out and we made our way into the hospital, eventually finding the room we were supposed to be in. As we sat, waiting for the surgeon I only became more anxious prompting my breathing to speed up, and Mitchell noticed.

"Hey, it'll be alright." He said softly, taking my hand in his own and giving it a squeeze. "He'll barely do anything, just a check up."

As soon as Mitchell stopped talking the door to the room opened and in walked my surgeon with a smile on his face.

"Hello Cameron, how are you doing?" He asked.

"Alright." I mumbled, looking down.

"She's a bit anxious." Mitchell explained.

"Well, there shouldn't be anything worrying today Cameron, I'll just take a quick look at your knee and we'll schedule an MRI for the future, just to be sure."

He stood up and made his way over to where I was sitting, and asked me to extend my leg. After a few minutes of observation and testing, he decided that I was recovering well, and that I didn't need to see him again for a while.

"So that wasn't too bad, was it?" Mitchell said once we were both back in the car. I shrugged.

"I guess..." I mumbled. "I just don't like hospitals."

"Understandable, I don't particularly like them either." He said as we started to drive home.

"Really?" I asked.

"Really." He confirmed. "I've never liked them. Most people don't, to be honest."

"Then how come everyone's a stupid doctor?" I whined. "It's not fair. Everyone in the family just has to have a career that I hate."

"Cameron, we're not having this discussion again." Mitchell said sternly. "I know you don't like it, but it's too late to do anything about it. Yes, we're doctors but we're just your brothers, yeah?"

I glared at him. "No! You don't understand and you never will! I hate it, I hate it so, so much. It's not fair, no one else's family is like this! I just want to be normal!"

"Cameron I am not having this discussion right now." Mitchell said. "We can talk about this with everyone else when we get home."

"I just want my brothers back!" I exclaimed as I choked out a sob, turning away from Mitchell.

As soon as the car stopped I jumped out and went to my room, ignoring all the looks I got from my brothers as I walked past them.

Ten minutes later there was a knock on my door.

"Come in." I mumbled reluctantly, smashing my face into my pillow.

"Hey Cam, what's up?" Someone said, and I realized it was Kade after I turning around.

"What do you want..." I said, turning to face him.

"Mitch told us about what happened in the car on the way home." He said. "Charlie wants to have a family meeting."

"No." I said. "Nothing good will ever come out of it. It's pointless. You guys say you'll change and you never do."

"Oh Cam..." Kade said, moving to sit beside me. "I think it'll be different this time. Charlie seems really serious."

"Doubt it." I mumbled, turning away from him again.

"Cam..." He groaned. "Please just come downstairs."

"Fine, I'll be there in a few." I said. "Now can you please leave me room."

Kade respected my wishes and left my room, closing the door behind him. I supposed my situation with all my brothers couldn't get much worse, but that didn't mean that I was excited to talk to them about it.

When I walked downstairs I saw all my brothers sitting in the living room, dispersed on our couches. I cautiously took a seat next to Gabe and looked to Charlie, who was leading this whole thing.

"So Cam," Charlie said. "It has been brought to my attention that having brothers who are also doctors has taken a toll on your mental health and it is causing you lots of stress, is that right?"

I nodded.

"And I understand how that could happen, it's difficult to separate work and home sometimes and I agree that we all need to do a better job at that. However, I think we should all brainstorm some ideas to alleviate some of this stress and anxiety this has caused you."

Charlie looked at me, and I nodded but had nothing else to say.

"For starters, I will try my best to not talk about work at home." Charlie said. "And I'll try to leave all my scrubs and other stuff at work."

I nodded in agreement.

"But what do you think Cam? Is there anything else you can think of that I can do to help?" Charlie said.

"I don't think so." I said, looking at my other brothers to contribute to the conversation.

"I'll do the same Cam, I'll try to not talk about my work and I'll try to not bring any of my stuff home." Gabe said, and I nodded in approval. Gabe and Charlie were never really a problem, they never really went doctor mode too much on my and they weren't too scary.

"Us too, Cam." Mitchell said, motioning to himself and Finn. "We won't talk about work stuff and we won't bring home any tools or anything. And we'll try to not bug you as much about your teeth and braces."

I looked at Finn, who nodded. "I won't do anything with your teeth, unless you want me to, of course."

Since it seemed like they were going by age I looked to Tyler next.

"Same as the others, I won't talk about work or anything." He said. "But I never really do that anyways, so no need to stress."

Even though Tyler was joking, he wasn't wrong. He definitely did the best job of separating work and home out of all my brothers, which I was immensely thankful for.

"Same for us, too." Kade and Nathan said. "We won't talk about medical stuff."

"Thanks." I said quietly.

"But also," Charlie continued. "We think that we should try to help you with your fear. We're not sure the best way to go about it, do you have any ideas Cam?"

"No. I don't want to right now. Just give me a break." I said firmly.

"Of course Cam, maybe sometime in the future." Charlie said. "But even after all of this, you will still need to go to the dentist and doctor's. Now, I know you don't want to so to try to help you with this you can choose who you'd like to see."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"For example, you will need to go to a dentist soon, but you can go to whoever you'd like. You can see Finn, Mitch, Anton, or someone else. It's up to you." He explained and I nodded.

"I guess that makes sense." I said. "I wanna see Anton."

"Alright Cam, I'll make an appointment with him, but in the meantime is there anything else you'd like to do or discuss with us?"

"No, I don't think so, not yet anyways." I said.

"Alright Cam, I just want you to know that we all love you so much. You are the light in your lives and I don't know what we would do without you." Charlie said with a smile, and Gabe pulled me into a hug, making me laugh and all my brothers joined in.

Next chapter is dentist appt :)

Leave comments!