Chapter 8

I felt Charlie playing with my hair the next morning, groaning before I opened my eyes. "Wakey wakey Cam." He said, smiling at me. I glared at him, before closing my eyes again. "Open your pretty eyes Cam. The surgeon came by about an hour ago. He said we'll start in about an hour." Charlie said. I froze, and Charlie hugged me. "You'll be fine Cam. Dr. Montgomery has done this surgery plenty of times before." Charlie said, kissing my forehead. I snuggled into him, and he chuckled. He laid with me until the nurse came in, saying that we had to go now. I looked at Charlie, terrified, and he held my hand as the bed moved to a different room. Then the nurse put a cap on my head, and Charlie has to put on a cover up and a cap. Then they wheeled me into the OR. They tried to get me to scootch onto the table, but I refused to move. Then Charlie picked me up carefully, and placed me on the table. I squirmed, and tried to get off the table, but Charlie stopped me. "Cam you got let them do what they have to do." He said to me, hugging me. He put me back on the table and helped me lay down again. Charlie held my hand while the nurse put sticky things on me. Then the anesthesiologist tried to put a mask over my face, but I shook it off, terrified. I tried to get away, but Charlie held me down gently. "It's just oxygen Cam." He said. "The sleeping medicine will go through your IV." He said, trying to comfort me, but that made it worse. I went to pull out the IV with my other hand, but a nurse grabbed it before I could. I panicked, I felt trapped, and I couldn't breathe. "Let go of her arm." Charlie said to the nurse, and helped me sit up. He hugged me, trying to calm me down. "You will be fine Cam. It's just a little nap." He said, and I shook my head. "What if I don't wake up?" I sobbed into him. "You will Cam. I promise." He said, rubbing my back. I sniffles into Charlie, and he held me for another minute. "They have to start Cam." He said, letting go of me and helping me lay down. He held my hand, squeezing it tight. I let the anesthesiologist put the mask over my face. I felt sleepy, but I kept my eyes open. "Don't fight it Cam." Charlie said, but I kept my eyes open. My chest felt tight, and I was scared. "Cameron. Look at me. You will take a nap, and when you wake up, I will be right there, and so will your brothers, ok?" He said. I shook my head, and a tear fell down my cheek. Charlie wiped it away with his thumb, and kissed my forehead. "Goodnight Cammy." He said, and I finally closed my eyes, letting sleep take over my body.

When I woke up, it felt like my eyes were glued shut. A minute later I opened them, only to close them a second later due to the bright light. I groaned. My entire left leg had a dull throbbing pain, and I couldn't move it. "Cam you're awake!" Said one of my brothers. I opened my eyes again, letting them adjust to the lighting. I looked around the room, and Tyler, Gabe and Charlie were there. They smiled at me, and Tyler grabbed my hand. "How are you feeling Cam?" He asked me. "My leg hurts and I'm tired." I whined. "You'll get some pain medication Cam, and the tiredness will go away. It's just the anesthesia in your system." Tyler said, squeezing my hand. "Do you want any water?" Gabe asked, and I nodded. He held a paper cup with a straw to my lips, and I took a sip, letting it flow down my throat. I closed my eyes, feeling tired and hungry. "I'm hungry." I whined to my brothers. Tyler laughed. "I'll see if I can get you a popsicle Cam." Charlie said, leaving the room to search for a nurse. A few minutes later he came back with a cherry flavoured popsicle. He handed it to me, and I ate it slowly. I was feeling tired, so I closed my eyes, taking a nap.
When I woke up again, I was in the room that I was in before the surgery. I looked around, and saw Charlie asleep on the chair. Tyler was sitting on another chair, reading a book. He noticed I was awake, and walked over to me. "How you feeling Cam?" He asked me. I shrugged. "My knee hurts." I replied. "I know, Cam. They're giving you the max amount of pain medication." He said. I sighed. "What happened to him?" I asked gesturing to Charlie, and Tyler laughed. "He finally fell asleep. He's been up for hours. He was really nervous for you Cam." Tyler said. "Why?" I asked him. "He knows you don't like hospitals and stuff, and he thought you were going to put up way more of a fight." Tyler explained. "He also knows that there's a heart condition that runs in the family. He has it, and so does Mitch. He knows you don't have it, but he was still scared that you would develop it, and something would go wrong." Tyler said. I looked over at Charlie, feeling guilty. Tyler saw my guilty face, and tried to comfort me. "It's not your fault Cam." He said. "Charlie is just a worrier. He worries about everyone in the family. You just happen to be the youngest, and our baby sister, so he's protective of you." Tyler explained. I nodded, and Tyler grabbed his iPad, and put on Netflix. "Scootch over Cam." He said, smirking. I stuck my tongue out at him, but moved over so he could sit on the bed. We watched the office for a few hours, and then Finn and Mitchell came to visit. "How are you feeling Cam?" Mitchell asked me. I shrugged. "Well, I'm on pain killers, and my knee still hurts, so..." I said to them. "That really sucks, I'm sorry Cam." Said Mitch, sitting on the end of the bed. Finn hugged me, and pulled out a word search book from behind his back. He handed it to me, and I glared at it. "Entertainment." He said with a smirk on his face. I groaned. Finn knows how much I hate word searches, I suck at them. "Come on Cam, we can do them together." Finn said, pulling the table over my lap, and pulling up a chair beside the bed. That's how I spent the rest of my day, doing word searches with my brothers, with a healthy dose of sibling humour.
Ideas?