40 | DAWN

A/N: Important, please read the note at the ending. Very important!!

Reyhaan's POV

Flashback starts

The bell rings

"Okay kids time for your snack break. Hurry up and open your snack boxes" The teacher says

Maa packed me grapes and pancakes with chocolate sauce. She is the best! I love her. Everyone loves her.

"Sid stop stealing my grapes" I swat his hand away from my snack box.

He pouts "But I love grapes"

I roll my eyes at him eyeing my box, such an idiot. I pick exactly 2 grapes from my box and keep on his box's lid.

He instantly gives an toothy grin and hugs me, which startles me. My bum loses grip from the ground and I roll over.

"Sid!"

When he finally sits back right, I also sit properly only to find Dhruv laughing loud which makes Sid laugh too.

How are they my age?

"Reyhaan and Dhruv Singhania, you are going half day today, please pack your bags"

Elated, the both of us pack our bags in a jiffy and after making our way to the car I see Meera di already sitting with tears running down her cheeks and sniffing.

Worried, I ask "What's wrong di?"

"Mumma died in a car accident" she says while wheezing

Flashback ends

The brakes of my car halts.

It may have happened 14 years ago but I vividly and clearly remember every single thing that had occurred. I still remember how my sister was helplessly crying but I couldn't do anything about it.

My world had shattered after hearing those words she uttered. How could she die? I saw her just that morning. Smiling and happy. By the time I got back home, many of our relatives were already there. Her body was kept right in the middle. She looked so lifeless, completely contrasting to her soul.

She was the life of every gathering, party and get together. She still is the life of me. It is for her, because of her, that I go on living. She wanted me to achieve something in life. She said life is beautiful and perhaps it was until she lived.

My eyes brimmed with tears, completely blurring my vision. I don't cry. Believe me I don't. But every time I think of her, I can't control my emotions.

I pick my phone and dial a number

The call is picked up only after the 4th ring

"Have you checked the time? It is freaking 1 o 5. In the morning. So unless you're dying call me tomorrow" I pull my phone away because she yells in her groggy voice

I would have chuckled at least, if it were different situations

I clear my throat "Come down"

"What?"

"I'm waiting outside your apartment. Come down in 2 minutes" I ended the call without waiting for her reply.

In the meantime I get out of the car and wait for her to come down as I lean over the car with my hands in my pants pocket.

Exactly 5 minutes later, I hear footsteps approaching me. I faintly hear her saying thank you, to the watchman I guess.

"What the hell are you doing here at midnight and that too after being MIA the entire day? You didn't respond to any of my texts and calls" She bursts out like expected. I knew it wouldn't be easy.