Chapter Nine

As I opened my eyes, the first rays of sunlight broke through my bedroom curtains, gently illuminating my room. I stretched my body, feeling every muscle come to life after a rejuvenating night's rest. I had slept so well. My bed was so much softer than the springy ones we had in the academy. The softness of my sheets and the warm embrace of my pillow beneath my head tempted me to stay in bed. Then, I was reminded of Linda's French toast. My mouth started to water.

I slowly sat up, letting my senses adjust to the morning. The familiar sounds of birds chirping outside reached my ears, creating a soothing melody that filled the room. I took a deep breath, inhaling the freshness and coolness that lingered in the air.

Looking around, I felt a sense of nostalgia. Everything was where I had left it.

The room's centerpiece was my bed, a sturdy, queen-sized bed adorned with plush, flannel sheets and a down comforter. The bed was positioned against a dark wooden wall. In front of my bed was a wall of windows, patterned maroon curtains on each side, allowing filtered sunlight to gently fill the room during the day and offering a breathtaking view of the surrounding forest. On either side of the bed, wooden nightstands stood sentinel, housing table lamps with warm, soft lighting that cast a gentle glow across the room. A small reading nook sat beside the windows in front of my bed. A quaint dresser stood against one wall, filled with most of my clothes and personal belongings.

Tugging my sheets off of me, I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and planted my feet on the dark wooden floor adorned with a thick, luxurious area rug that delighted me as I wiggled my bare toes across it.

It was chilly. I would have gone straight to the fireplace in my room if I hadn't been in such a rush to get changed and head to Robin's house with my parents.

As soon as I stepped out of bed, I rummaged through my drawers, unsurprised to see my mom bought me a new set of winterwear. Randomly pulling out some jeans and tugging a white turtleneck over my head, I walked over to my bathroom and went through my morning hygiene routine. It took longer than I would have liked to brush my long hair, but I sprinted downstairs once I got it looking decent. My mom was in the living room with my dad, smiling as they looked out the window.

"Mom, Dad?" I frowned, walking to them. "What are you doing?

My mom turned around and smiled at me. "Come here! It's finally snowing properly today!" She reached her hand out for me to take it. 

"What do you mean by properly?" I laughed as she tugged me by her side, facing the window. As I gazed through the window of my cozy house, I was instantly captivated by the ethereal beauty unfolding outside. The landscape before me was utterly transformed, draped in a soft white blanket covering everything in sight. The tree branches, once bare and unadorned, now carried the weight of the snow, creating a picturesque scene from a storybook. "Wow, it's beautiful."

"Yeah, it snowed a lot last night!" My mom beamed. "It's been sprinkling here and there, but now we have several feet of it!"

My dad looked at my mom with amused eyes, gently smiling at her excitement. I loved the way my parents looked at each other. It was so obvious that they were just as in love as they were when they first met. I hoped someone looked at me that way someday. 

"So, are you ready to go to Linda's house for breakfast?" My dad finally spoke up, giving me a warm smile. 

"Let me grab my jacket, and we can go," I nodded, skipping towards the closet closest to the front door.

................................................................................................................................................................

Zale's head was killing him. He got way too drunk last night, but it was inevitable, he guessed. Some so many girls got him drinks. He probably had lost consciousness two-thirds through the party. For some strange reason, he felt like he had done something he shouldn't have, but then again, what was new? 

Whenever he got hungover, he got hungry. His mom always made a lot of food in the morning, so she'd probably have enough to satisfy his hunger. He'd eat at his mom's today. 

Sighing, Zale lugged his way out of bed, shrugged his jacket on, and headed out the door of his house. He probably looked like a wreck, but he didn't care. It was just his mom and Robin. 

It didn't take long to get to his childhood home. He hadn't been there in about a couple of weeks. Or maybe it was three? The days all blurred together. 

When he stumbled inside, his brain pounding against his skull, he sniffed the air and smirked. French toast. Jackpot. "Hey, Mom," Zale sighed as he stepped into the kitchen, leaning his head against the doorframe. He had found her piling another batch of French toast on a massive plate beside the stove. 

She immediately turned around with wide but pleased eyes. Zale knew she was shocked to see him. He rarely visited twice in one month. "Oh, Zale!" She smiled, setting down the large fork in her hand to hug him. Something in her smile seemed sad. He ignored it. When her arms wrapped around him, she squeezed. "I'm glad you came today! Guess who's coming over?"

Zale offered his mom a tired smile. "Enlighten me."

"Mae and her parents! Don't you remember? She got back yesterday! Oh, she's just so beautiful!" His mother looked ecstatic. "They're about to be here, so help me set the table."

"Alright," Zale sighed. It wasn't like he cared. He just wanted food. "Where's Robin? I figured he'd be down here, wagging his tail, waiting by the front door for Mae."

"Oh, he's headed out to meet them halfway," Linda sighed, returning to the stove to cook another batch of French toast. "They should be here any second now."

Mae. Zale hadn't seen that kid since she was twelve. He couldn't imagine how much she'd changed, especially with the bloodline transformation. So she was beautiful, huh? As if that scrawny kid could ever be as memorizing as his mom made it sound. 

After Zale set the table, he sat on one of the kitchen chairs. The moment his butt hit the seat, he heard the door to the house open, laughing filling the air. Robin was joking around again, as always. 

"Oh, it smells amazing," he heard Abigail, Mae's mother, cheer.

"Of course it does. It's Linda's cooking, after all." Now, that voice was different. Zale could tell it was Mae's, but it sounded so mature. Womanly. 

Leaning against the table with his hand on his cheek, he frowned. Had she really changed that much? 

Mae's mom and dad were the first to walk in with smiles on their faces as Linda greeted them. Curiously, Zale straightened, peaking around them, but Mae was out of sight. Whatever. Why was he so curious anyway? It's not like she was going to be that different.

Zale slumped down again and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. His head hurt. 

For about thirty seconds, the cheerful greetings continued until it went silent. That was when Zale opened his eyes to see everyone staring at him, including Mae. His eyes widened as theirs met. 

She was breathtakingly beautiful, hair as white as freshly fallen snow cascading down her slender frame. Her delicate features showed every sign of irritation, the high cheekbones accentuating her flawless peach skin. Those dark, arched eyebrows seemed to frame her eyes, perfectly complementing her striking appearance. Her angry, amber eyes shone like warm honey, reflecting in the warm light around her. 

Staring at the irritated woman in front of him, he was dazed. This was not the face of his annoying childhood packmate anymore.

"What the heck," is all that came out of his mouth.