Chapter Forty-Nine

When I walked into the kitchen, Zale smugly following behind me, I awkwardly looked down in humiliation. I didn't dare meet Robin or Marie's eyes. I didn't want to see the expressions on their faces. Robin and Marie had to have heard us. If they hadn't, the smell of our mixed pheromones clinging to each other's clothes at least had to have given them a pretty clear idea of what had happened just around the corner. It was silent for a moment as I slowly walked to the island, sitting on one of the barstools. Again, Zale followed after me, sitting on the stool to my right, smoothly tugging the chair closer to mine. He was pushing his luck with me.

There were a few noises of cleared throats and clinks of silverware and plates being taken out and set on the counter while I sat there in silence. Silently, Marie handed me a glass of water. I glanced up with a grateful nod, and she smiled at me almost apologetically.

I tensed, looked down, and slowly began sipping the water. It felt good sliding past my sore lips.

"So," Robin finally spoke after a couple of minutes of painfully awkward silence. His voice was calmer than I thought it would be, although there was an undertone of irritation as if he were trying to compose himself. I tensed, sensing the general idea of what he was going to say. "I'm assuming it was consensual this time?"

I choked on my water with wide eyes as it went down the wrong pipe, spitting some out. I covered my mouth, trying to breathe. I felt Zale's hand slide on my back.

"Dude, what the heck?" I caught a glimpse of Zale angrily glaring at Robin. He then looked at me. "Are you good?"

"I'm fine!" I slapped Zale's hand away as he put his hand on my shoulder, clenching my teeth together. I cleared my throat. I finally looked up at Robin, unsure of what facial expression I was making. "But seriously. W-why do you have to ask questions like that so bluntly?" My voice was shaky.

"I'm just making sure my brother didn't attack you, alright? I don't want my best friend to be eaten alive." Robin sighed, waving the knife that he held to cut the garlic bread in the air. It was directed at Zale, but Robin kept his focus on me. "Your record has been shady, but both of you were sane, right?"

I opened my mouth to tell him that it was all a misunderstanding and that he was wrong, but I couldn't because it wasn't. I flushed, covering my face. I really did kiss Zale back when I was sane, and not just kissed. I climbed on top of him like some wild animal, sticking onto him like Velcro with my tongue shoved in his mouth. I didn't know how I was going to explain myself, let alone worm my way out of this one.

"I didn't assault her, you idiot. Do you really still think that poorly of me?" That's when Zale took over, casually leaning against the counter with a childish frown.

"Can you blame me for still having my doubts with the track record you have?" Robin scoffed, shrugging. "Well, in that case, you guys were quite noisy. If you're going to make out, do it in the bedroom where others can't hear you. It's called social decency. And Mae. You're basically my sister, so the fact that you're kissing my brother is kind of grossing me out. At least tell me about your relationship so I can get used to that first before making kissy face in the hall."

"W-WE'RE NOT DATING!" I blurted out in frustration.

"So, you're friends with benefits?" Robin scoffed with raised eyebrows.

"NO! OF COURSE NOT!" My jaw dropped at that one. "WHAT KIND OF PERSON DO YOU THINK I AM?"

"Hey, stop picking on Mae, guys. She just doesn't want to admit she's falling for me," Zale sighed, slinging his arm over my shoulder. He looked at me and raised an eyebrow at the glare I was giving him. "Or at least my body, right? So naughty, you little dine and dasher."

"Look who's talking! " I shoved Zale off of me, calling him a few crude words, then stood up, walking by Robin. I angrily shoved my finger on his shoulder. "And you! Why are you feeding into his jokes now? When did you start siding with Zale?"

"I'm not siding with him. I'm just saying you shouldn't kiss someone back and give them the wrong idea if you don't want to date them. This applies to Zale, too. You said so yourself, Mae," Robin shrugged, reaching over me to put the knife in his hand in the sink after cutting the loaf of garlic bread.

I looked at Zale, who was staring at Robin in shock. He glanced at me to see my angry reaction, and I gritted my teeth, "Well, Zale was the one to initiate, and he doesn't want to date me!"

"Excuse me? Hold on a second!" Zale cut in when Robin opened his mouth, sliding out of his chair. Zale crossed his arms, leaning against the island. "Who said I didn't want to date you because it certainly wasn't me, sweetheart. Plus! Why on earth would I mess around with the chief's daughter, out of all girls, if I wasn't sure about how I felt? I don't have a freaking death wish." Zale sighed and crossed his arms while giving me a frown. "Geez. You are the most stubborn, hotheaded, and judgmental person--at least towards me--I've ever met in my life, but for some insane reason beyond my own comprehension, I'm still attracted to you. You drive me freaking insane!"

I felt my breath catch in the back of my throat, and my eyes widened as I slowly looked up at him, freezing when I saw the absolute seriousness and frustration in his expression. His blue eyes were staring directly at me, his mouth drawn into a thin line, almost as if he were slightly nervous, although hiding it very well. His posture seemed a bit tense, too, as he kept his arms crossed.

I don't know if I was bewildered by the fact that he was serious or the fact that I think I may have wanted to hear that, but all I could say when I opened my mouth was, "Oh. Okay."

When Robin burst into laughter, I stiffly turned around on the balls of my feet and walked to the pan of lasagna sitting on the stove in a daze while catching a glimpse of Marie covering her mouth with a huge smile. I couldn't believe he just blurted that out...Did this arrogant alpha, the lady swindler of the pack, and my friend's irritating older brother really just blurt out some sort of love confession so shamelessly? This had to be a joke. How could Zale have feelings for me?

"Uh. Let's just eat," I mumbled, turning to Marie. "Thanks for making this. It looks amazing."

"Of course! But Robin was the one who made most of it," Marie smiled, handing me a plate and spatula. I looked back and glared at Robin, who was still snickering, then smiled at Marie again. "Well, still. Thank you."

The lasagna was incredible, and it went perfectly with the garlic bread and Caesar salad. However, dinner was extremely awkward. It was basically Robin and Marie talking while failing at trying not to make it seem like they weren't a couple while Zale sat across from me, the two of us stuck in some sort of awkward silence. Zale just kept glancing at me as he ate, deep in thought, while I tried my best to focus on the food in front of me and not speak. If I did, I would've probably made things worse. Overall, I was trying to sort out what Zale had just said to me while ignoring getting involved in a creepy staring contest with him. Honestly, the only good thing about that whole hour was the taste of the food I was anxiously shoving in my mouth.

Zale Ailswood. I swear. You are going to be the death of me.

................................................................................................................................................................

Hello, my lovely readers! Sorry about the late update! As I've mentioned before, I'm studying for a huge test, so I might not be as active, but I'll try my best to update a couple of times a week at least once! Anyway, I hope you liked that chapter!

Vote, comment, and keep up with the latest updates, my lovelies!!! Thanks for reading!

XOXOXOXO