Chapter 16

Staring at myself in the mirror, I feel disgusted. I hardly recognize the girl grimacing back at me. Am I just trying to survive, or do I actually believe him? Pieces that didn't fit before seem like they will find clarification in his answers.

I'm afraid of what will happen if I sit down and really listen to what he has to say. Why don't I hate him? Despite everything, I don't. He's a stranger who has only ever wrought havoc on my life. From the moment that we laid eyes on each other, it's been nothing but violence and bloodshed.

Is it just as easy as asking? Could I really ask him, listen to his answer, and that be it? It seems too simple.

When the door flies open, I turn, gasping, "Cerberus!"

But it's not Cerberus. It's a girl. She closes the door behind her and steps up to the sink beside me. She sets her bag down and starts rummaging through it, different kinds of makeup fall out onto the counter as she digs. I'm not sure why I'm standing here watching, I'm just shocked that she would burst in.

With a heavy sigh, she pulls open a lipstick and slides it over her lips, painting them bright red.

Suddenly she slams the tube down and turns, grabbing me by the neck. She's not hurting me, but I step back, shoving her.

"Get the fuck off!" I slap her hand away.

"So, it's true." She shakes her head, turning back to the mirror, unphased by my anger. "Do you even realize how fucking lucky you are?"

"What?" I snap.

"I would kill everyone in this place to have that mark on my neck." She points at it angrily before pulling a brush from her purse.

Oh.

"After everything your dad did to him, he still wants you. Unbelievable." She throws her hands up in frustration and starts to yank the brush through her hair violently.

"What my father did?" I grab her arm. "What did he do?"

She rolls her eyes and starts gathering her things. "I would have given anything for that mark and he gives it to you."

"Why didn't he give it to you?" I realize that might not be a very polite question but I have a feeling we're past that.

"A bite from a hellhound is lethal except to his mate," she scowls as if I should know that. I guess I should have.

That can't be true.

"Do you even know what he went through for you? When the fates took half of his soul, all of the underworld heard it. The sound is something that I'll never forget. He did that for you, and you haven't even accepted him."

"How do you know that?" I cross my arms over my chest.

"Because the mark hasn't healed, obviously."

"What the fuck are you doing, Lilinaya?" The door opens, and Orenlea walks in. Wonderful, now they can beat me to death together.

"Just chatting, aren't we, sweetie," she flashes me a big fake smile.

"You better get the fuck out of here before Cerb feeds you to one of his heads," she says with an equally fake smile.

"Yeah, whatever," she shoulder checks her as she walks out the door.

As she storms out, I can see him through the door before it slams. He's talking to Hades but we lock eyes for a brief moment, and he looks concerned.

"She's jealous. Don't worry about it," she starts to search around her bag as well. "Cerberus is a catch, we all hate you a little bit." She chuckles.

I don't know what to say.