Chapter 2: Her Inquiry

ARIA BEVERLEIGH
Walking to my next class, I was overwhelmed with devastation, I didn't even know why. All I knew was that it hurt, it really did. As I moved through the hallway, it felt as if I had become deaf, hearing nothing but the echoes of Zarah's words about Jamilah and Zaid, leaving me with a profound sense of emptiness, a blankness that seemed to envelop me.
The bell had already rung, but lost in my thoughts, its sound eluded me. Consequently, I ended up late and had to knock on the door. Ugh, I despised that awkwardness.

Mavis opened the door, saying "You? You're late...dang, that's a rare moment."

"Right." I mumbled as I walked by her. Why does everyone have to annoy me when I feel like fucking shit?

I had history class with Mr. Williams, a laid-back teacher unbothered by lateness.
Finding the only vacant seat in the last row, a corner spot, I settled in, placing my backpack on the floor and adjusting my skirt. This lesson, I actually actively participated, raising my hand a few times. After all, I can't let myself slack just because of a guy, can I?

"Alright class, please open your textbooks and copy this from the board!" Mr. Williams spoke in a deep, raspy voice and gestured to the whiteboard.

I just wasn't in the mood to write anything down at the moment, but I was positive Aneira could give me a photo of the writing on the whiteboard. She always has my back!
Anyway, I asked Mr. Williams if I could hit the restroom, and he was cool with it. On my way there, guess who I run into? Jamilah. Seriously, she was just everywhere. She was touching up her makeup— she brought her entire vanity to school, no like seriously.

The moment I walked in, she spotted me in the reflection, turned around, and said, "Oh, look who's here! Zaid's friend!"
How did she even know that? I gave her a confused look for a sec and was like,
"Uh, yeah, that's me, Aria." Then she hit me with,
"He talks a lot about you." and turned back to the mirror, redoing her eyeliner. Now, was I supposed to be all happy about him talking nice stuff? Or upset because he was talking to HER.

"Me? He talks about me?" I shot back, trying to match the question with a skeptical expression. Regret instantly hit me – why do I always make the wrong decisions, like coming to the bathroom at this moment?

"Yuh, he does!" she started, and then dropped the bomb, "He's such a sweet guy! Do you know if he has a girlfriend perhaps?"

It was getting seriously overwhelming, but I had no way out. If she doesn't know his relationship status, they can't be that tight, right? RIGHT?
My mind was racing, forgetting I was even in a convo with her.

"Aria, baby, you there?" she raised her voice.

"UH— yeah, I am, and no, he's not taken," I blurted out, shaking my head, gripping my skirt tightly.

"Gosh, that's awesome!" She spun around in a twirl and popped the question, "Do you think I'm good enough for him?"
"Of course, you are!" I replied, forcing excitement into my voice, and threw in a forced "SLAY!" This whole situation was getting way too much. I mean, come on, I'm just his best friend. Has no one ever heard that guy-girl friendships aren't always just pure friendships? Sometimes, Lord, it's a mess.

"Jamilah— I should head back to class now! It was nice talking to you. I guess I'll see you around?"

I quickly turned around and rushed to my classroom. That was very weird. Very, very weird.
As I reached my classroom, about to knock, the bell rang – dang, did I really spend 6 minutes in the bathroom? Crazy. Anyway, I hustled inside, grabbed my stuff, and rushed out. Finally, I was gonna see ZAID. Lowkey felt bad for neglecting my friend Aneira, but she never complained, so...