Chapter 12: Romantic breakthrough

ARIA BEVERLEIGH

ARIA BEVERLEIGH

At 7:34 PM on Saturday night, I positioned myself in front of my vanity, immersing myself in my makeup routine. The long-awaited party day had arrived, and my anticipation of seeing Zaid was at its peak. My singular focus for the day was capturing Zaid's attention, while Ivor's opinions about me remained inconsequential. Ivor was just a friend, an ordinary friend.

I longed for Zaid to be drawn to me, to feel the same craving for my heart that I felt for his.
I just loved him so fucking much.

I started doing my makeup, and oh my— my base looked flawless today.

It really did— sometimes it looked cakey , but today— today it looked like a f*cking filter.

I then meticulously applied my natural-looking false lashes and added a touch of sparkling blush.

Transitioning to my hair, I curled it and combed through to achieve a balanced, not overly curly look.

Then, it was finally time for the dress – Zaid's dress.

His dress.

A garment so precious that I hesitated to touch it, but tonight was the right occasion.

The right day.

As it embraced my body, snatching my waist, the dress exuded perfection. I completed the dress with white high heels and adorned myself with a pearl necklace and earrings.

I snapped a photo of myself and sent it to Aneira, who couldn't attend the party because of her strict and abusive mother – sometimes, I felt a pang of sympathy for her.

She was my Rapunzel, confined in her castle, waiting for her prince.

I wish I could help her.

As I was about to check the time, my phone buzzed. It was Ivor, probably calling to ask if I was ready for him to pick me up.

He played the gentleman, all considerate and thoughtful, but I felt no connection between us.

Nothing.

Perhaps someday, though the odds were slim.

MAYBE the day when I come to terms with Zaid not loving me back, witnessing him kiss someone else – someone who's not me.
It's on that day, maybe, that I'd be open to letting my heart consider giving Ivor a chance.

"Hey Aria, all set to dazzle?"

"Hey Ivor, ready as I'll ever be! Are you en route?"

"Right in front of your place." He chuckled.

"Speedy Gonzales, aren't you?"

"Yeah, that's me, ma'am! Take your time, I'll be here, soaking up the night until you arrive."