Chapter 8: Yearningly Claimed.

ZAID EASTONIt was 2:45 finally, the final lesson today was with Matthew and Ivor, my other friend

ZAID EASTON
It was 2:45 finally, the final lesson today was with Matthew and Ivor, my other friend. Eager to get to Aria's house, I just wanted to check if she was okay or not. The whole day, I considered skipping school, but my concern for grades—maybe not as much as for Aria—kept me in check, my parents were strict about academics.
Very strict.

Ivor and Matthew were discussing some ridiculous topics, and I was just tuned in, waiting for the bell to ring so I could rush out.

"Yo, Ivor, want me to set you up with Zarah? Or... Aneira? Or how about Loreli?" Matthew suggested, their whispered conversation almost too loud.

"Nah, I'm good, man. Thanks, though. There's this one girl, but I don't know, man."

"Who?"

"Matthew, I'm not telling you..." Ivor rolled his eyes, avoiding eye contact. I found it amusing—Ivor and love?

"Ivor, don't kill the vibe! Seriously, spill the beans—we're your ride-or-die pals. Since when are we playing the secret-keeping game? Come on." Matthew said, feigning annoyance, though I could tell he wasn't really bothered.

Out of nowhere, Mr. Brown caught Ivor and Matt chatting, and he boomed, "Matthew, repeat what I just said, young man!"
Mister Brown glared at Matthew, who was left stunned. "Uhm, uh——sorry, sir. I didn't listen."

"THEN LISTEN!" He shouted.

"Idiot," Ivor whispered.

We adjusted our postures in our seats, exchanging glances, and fell silent under Mr. Brown's watchful gaze. I had this feeling like I might be his favorite student, but the constant chatter from these two during his lessons was definitely putting a dent in my chances.

"Matt, did you catch up with Vanessa during the break? Sort things out between you two?" I slipped it in casually, checking with Matthew while Mr. Brown had his back turned, jotting something down on the board.

"Yeah, I did. We're kinda good now—I think. I hope it stays like this, dude. I really love her," Matthew exclaimed, scrubbing his hands down his face. It was evident he was deeply in love with Vanessa.

"That's good news! I mean, she's totally smitten with you. I don't think she can stay mad at you for more than a day." I gave him a quick smile and a pat on the shoulder.

I adored school because of these two. They were a blast, loyal friends who didn't buy into the whole cheating, smoking, and partying non-stop scene. Real, genuine pals that everyone could use. Sure, we had our fair share of trouble in the past, but not all memories come from positive stuff, right? We sailed through primary school together, and ever since, we've been tight, really tight friends. It's still mind-boggling that our trio has stood the test of time.

And Aria?

Well, Aria and I had been friends for a year and a half now. She was my best friend, but it wasn't a regular homie vibe. Our bond was different, and over time, it unexpectedly shifted into romantic feelings. The idea of loving her felt good, but the fear of her not feeling the same way crept in. I didn't want to dwell on it, even just dreaming about the possibility was soul-crushing.