Chapter 11: Longing for you.

ARIA BEVERLEIGH

Finally, it was Friday, and there I was at school, recovering from the rough day I had the day before. I called Zaid multiple times and sent him numerous texts last night, just eager to hear his voice and apologize sincerely.

But he didn't respond. He left me on delivered.

He declined my calls.

The regret was eating me alive, I wished he knew I didn't perceive him as careless. I loved him with my entire heart.

All I hoped for was to see him today, just one glance – nothing elaborate, just to make sure he was okay.

As I strolled towards my class, a hand latched onto my arm, momentarily tricking me into thinking it was Zaid. A swift turn revealed Ivor, grinning with his characteristic charm.

"Hey," he said, looking down at me. "Just wanted to check if you're okay with my own eyes—yesterday, you didn't sound too great on the call. You're doing fine now, right?" His face lingered dangerously close to mine.

"I am. Feeling better now, thanks, Ivor!" I exclaimed, stepping back a bit. "Gotta hit class. Catch you later!" With a wave, I headed toward my class.

Ivor seemed genuinely caring—thoughtful and not radiating the typical player vibes. The fact that he wanted to hang out with his friend's best friend was a tad peculiar, but I brushed off the thought.

Approaching my classroom for the next lesson, Loreli intercepted me. "Aria, first lesson's canceled. Mister Hawkins had a car accident, apparently."

"Thanks, Loreli! Is he alright?" I inquired.

"Supposedly. I don't have all the details," she responded.

"Alright. So, what's your plan?" I asked.

"If we knew earlier, I could've caught a few more Zs," she lamented.

"Uh, Zs?"

"A bit more sleep..."

"Oh— okay, what about the library for some studying? I'm at a loss for other ideas," I proposed.

"Oh my god, yes! Let's do that!"

"Great. Hold on, let me ring Aneira and tell her to join us." After a quick call to Aneira, we trioed our way to the library.

Although Loreli and I lacked a profound connection, we were decent classmates. She exuded an air of distance but maintained a friendly demeanor—a nerdy girl with consistently stellar grades, a characteristic I found captivating.

Upon reaching the library, we settled at a table, and on the adjacent one were Zaid, Ivor, and Matthew. Ivor noticed me, waved with a smile, and I waved back. However, Zaid abruptly stood up and left the library after a brief glance in my direction.

Though glad to catch sight of him, an unsettling feeling gnawed at me as he departed. Was he that angry, that upset?

Overthinking consumed me.

"Aria, babygirl, wake up..." Aneira's snap brought me back.

"I'm awake," I responded flatly.

"Can we focus on chemistry, please? I need help," Aneira complained, flipping open her book.

"Sure, I got you—I'm good at it!" Loreli chimed in. I shot them both a glare, incredulous.

"Actually, I'll join in a minute." I rose and dashed out of the library to find Zaid, but he seemed to have vanished. Standing alone in the empty hallway, a sense of loss enveloped me—I just wanted to mend things, not strain our bond further.