Chapter 17: Can this end?

ARIA BEVERLEIGH

The next morning, I went to school as usual, accompanied by Zaid. As always, our paths diverged as our first class wasn't together.

Walking towards my locker, I sensed some people whispering and looking at me strangely—I felt something odd, nonsensical, and couldn't comprehend what was happening.

As I opened my locker, a few girls passed by, saying, "First, she fucked Ivor, now she wants to fuck Zaid LOL," and my world crumbled. Holding my breath, I searched for my required book in my locker but couldn't find it when I needed it most.

Was this really happening?

Then someone behind me said, "Are you looking for this, hoe?"

It was a familiar voice.

When I turned around, I saw her.

Jamilah.

I just nodded, looking down at my feet.

"Stop looking at the ground, look at me. I told you I'd put you in your place if you didn't listen," she said, tearing a few pages from my book and throwing them on the ground before tossing my book down. I bent down to collect the torn pages, trying hard not to cry.

"Watch yourself. This is just the beginning—we're just getting warmed up. Cross me again, and I'll make sure you never step foot in this school out of sheer disgrace," she declared with a sinister grin before swaggering away.

Then, two passing guys said, "Hope whores like you crawl like this."

I just wondered what sin I had committed to deserve this, besides love, I hadn't done anything else.

I knew one thing, though:  for the sake of my love, I would endure these hardships—simply because a few people couldn't accept losing.

I quickly composed myself and headed to my classroom, stuffing the torn book and pages into my bag along the way.

"ARIA!" Vanessa yelled, racing towards me and wrapping me in a tight embrace. "We'll squash this rumor, believe me. I won't let Jamilah run her mouth. Okay?"

Even she knew about the rumor— how?

She grinned, giving me a glimmer of comfort. "You're holding up alright, right?" she asked.

"Yeah...I'm okay, Vanessa. I know we'll handle this mess together," I responded, my voice carrying the weight of the situation.

"Keep your head up... if only we could kick that envy-fueled Jamilah out of the picture," she remarked.

"How can I not feel down, though? What if Zaid catches wind of this? It feels like everyone sees me as some kind of whore— a scandal," I admitted, my eyes welling up.

"I know—but he's head over heels for you. He's not dumb enough to believe such a ridiculous rumor—besides, come on, wipe away those tears from those beautiful brown eyes of yours, okay? Let's show her that her attempts to mess with your life won't affect us," she said energetically.

"I have to talk Zaid. Jamilah is so crafty, she can manipulate him with her words," I expressed.

"No, she cannot. Are you even listening to me? HE IS HEAD OVER HEELS FOR YOU."

"But still..."

"No— no buts."

"GUYS, HURRY UP! ANEIRA AND JAMILAH ARE FIGHTING. DON'T MISS THIS!" yelled a few girls, and Vanessa and I exchanged looks. "Fuck," we both muttered simultaneously, immediately following the girls.