Chapter 3: I'm sorry.

ARIA BEVERLEIGH

"Are the rumors about you and Jamilah true?" I asked.I don't know why I asked that – I was planning to bring it up after school, but I couldn't stop myself. Zaid looked at me, confused but not overly so. He seemed unsure of how to answer.

"Zaid?" I repeated. The longer he stayed silent, the more my heart sank. Why wasn't he giving me an immediate answer? I was genuinely worried, worried for no reason.

I hate myself for this.

"Look, me and Jamilah did have a talking stage, but that was nothing. It's over, and I'm sorry for not telling you, Aria. I just—"

"Oh?" I replied, my voice trembling a bit, though I hoped it wasn't too noticeable.

"No, no—don't get me wrong. It was a two-month thing, but I realized she wasn't the one for me and ended it."

TWO MONTHS? Nothing? Was he for real? My heart shattered with each word, but I had to play it cool.

"Two months are nothing to you, Zaid?" I asked, frowning, internally fighting not to cry or let my voice tremble.

"Why do I have to explain myself? Can't I have a girl in my life without you knowing, Aria? It's called fucking privacy, and I expect you to respect and tolerate that, okay?"

"I didn't say that. I NEVER said that, Zaid. I thought we promised each other we won't keep secrets. Looks like you can't keep your word.You're the one victimizing yourself with this privacy stuff—do NOT. We both know we promised each other something, and you know how I always tell you everything. If I do that for you, then I expect the same in return."

I realized tears were about to spill, so I swiftly stood up, slinging my backpack over my shoulder, and walked away as swiftly as my emotions would allow. I remember passing by Jamilah, her face adorned with a wide smile, she likely witnessed our fight. In that moment, my disdain for her deepened, but amidst the emotional turmoil, I couldn't afford to dwell on it.

"Aria, you can't just go away mid-argum—" he exclaimed, raising his voice as he stood up.

I didn't turn around.

I didn't want to.

All I needed was Aneira, but I didn't know where she was. I frantically roamed around school, nearly in tears, and then spotted her near the lockers.
Fortunately, she was alone, usually, she'd be with her friends, but this time she was by herself. I rushed to her, hugged her tightly, and finally released myself, tears streaming down my face.

"We fought," I mumbled against her shoulder, and Aneira hugged me back, gently stroking my hair.

She glanced around and then led me to an empty classroom, closing the door. "Aria," she mumbled, hugging me again. "What happened? Tell me everything, please," she said, her voice soft and her words careful.

"I asked him about the rumors, and it turned into an argument," I sobbed. I had a tissue in hand, but I knew I couldn't wipe my eyes at that moment—I would've smudged my makeup, and that mascara was $12.99.

Gosh, economy..

Anyway.

"It's a yes-no question. How did he turn it into an argument? Told you he's a— " she paused, frowning.

"...continue, my love." She added.

"I just dug into it—my fault," I blamed myself. I felt guilty, but his words had hurt me too. He didn't have to be so harsh on me, right?